Monday 31 May 2010

Bread making day, and Robins again




Bank holiday or not today is a bread making day. We gave up buying bread ages ago when realised how much we threw away. I have always been an occasional bread maker but now we arrange our meals to suit the type of bread I bake,today it was three floury bloomers half wholemeal flour and half white. There is a lot of rubbish talked about bread making and it puts people off making it. Bread makers are ok but what comes out if them is not as good as the traditionally made sort;I use quick dried yeast so it only has to rise once and only has to be kneaded for 10 minutes,it rises quickly in a warm kitchen and three loaves only take 30 minutes to bake. I find 4pounds of flour and four sachets of yeast the best mixture-ignore the pack instructions,if you add 1oz of butter or one tablespoon of oil to each pound of flour the bread will keep very well. The bread made today will make great toast or garlic bread as late as Saturday if there is any left,usually there isn't. I make an amazing loaf using cracked wheat and honey,next time I make it I will give you the recipe.

I picked three pounds of gooseberries this afternoon, a painful business. I think I have acquired more thorns in my fingers,amongst other places than fruit. The robins however were a joy;as I picked I discovered small green caterpillars of which there were a great multitude, the robins dived in and out, pounced on them with energy, and even took them from my hand;I feel so very honoured to be allowed to help them raise their family,to be so trusted by a wild creature is a privilege I treasure.

Last nights party well everyone staggered off in taxis well before they fell over thank the Gods.

That's all for tonight, its a little dull perhaps but even Samuel Pepys didn't have a fire or a plague to write about daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment