Sunday 5 December 2010

GINGER MAKES YOU SNEEZE


It's true as I discovered today to my cost. First thing this morning I decided to make three large ginger cakes, two for the cake tin and one for the friend I mentioned before. The bowl I used was enormous and the ingredients sweet, sticky and spicy, all went well until I began to add the ginger to the dry mix. The ground ginger jar is a large on as I use rather a lot, my hands were a little buttery and as I pulled the lid off the jar it slipped from my hands and landed in a plastic bowl.
Fortunately nothing was broken but the large cloud of ginger powder which rose from the jar had a drastic effect upon both myself and the poor cat, who was,as is usual when I am cooking, pan- handling in the kitchen on the chance that some tasty morsel might come her way. Startled she made a dash for the door but was overcome by a bout of violent sneezing before she got there. I was in no position to help as I too was sneezing my head off. Between us we made a percussion section any orchestra would have been proud to own.

It took quite a long time for the effect of the ginger to wear off by which time I was exhausted, the cat gave me a look of reproach and left in a huff with her tail in the air.
Thank fully the cakes went in to the oven and came out perfect without further incident, the cat however is still avoiding me like the plague.
Apart from the incident with the ginger the day has been a pleasant one, the kitchen smelled heavenly ans the oven kept us warm while we had breakfast, even the ironing seemed less arduous than usual as a favourite from was on the television to amuse me the while.

Tomorrow starts what promises to be a hectic week for us, pleasant though as we shall have lots of visitors, hence the mornings baking.
We are all at home next week and hope to have some games and a few special dinners, I am making no set plans however, remember what happened last time!

No comments:

Post a Comment