Thursday 9 December 2010

FULL STEAM AHEAD


Tomorrow is Pa's birthday so we decided to get as many of Friday's chores as possible out of the way. Friday is our usual major cleaning day and also the day when the fortnightly grocery order is delivered, and a bread day so today promised to be a busy one, and it was.

The groceries arrived at nine fifteen and by ten were unpacked and stowed away, breakfast came next,fresh coffee and croissant, for a change and as soon as I had finished eating I made three granary loaves and then washed up as the dough was rising.
I had already cleaned the bed room yesterday and as my son is responsible for his room there was only the bathroom to do,this was done as the bread was baking. The kitchen needed a few tweaks, cobwebs in odd corners, you know the sort of thing, and then came the hoovering, hateful job. My son, may blessings lite upon him, does this rotten job when he can as I find it rather difficult these days, I follow him round with the steamer, a marvellous devices which cleans all the different floor surfaces, the tiles, and the rugs and carpets. It will also clean windows although I must admit that it is so long since I cleaned ours that we are thinking of renaming the house Dim View”

Just as we were about finished a friend called to see us, the father of the young lady we make the ginger cakes for. He came to return a bag which I lent to him a few days ago to carry home his cake and some home made sweets. In the bag was a tin of sweets and a parcel containing four CDs of classical music, quite a lot of which was Vaughan Williams, my favourite composer, it was a lovely surprise, He said that it was a thank you for the ginger cakes , I think it was a lovely thing to do. It was lucky I had another cake ready to go, the young lady is feeling much better now and is fonder of ginger cake than ever. It was a happy end to a busy day

Not quite the end though, just as we sat down to dinner a parcel arrived for my son, a gift from a friend in America. The fact that there was a customs charge of almost twenty pounds on it rather took the gilt of that particular piece of ginger bread!
Dinner was a happy sort of meal, lots of cold meats and cheeses, fresh bread and salad and no mountain of greasy dishes to wash up afterwards. Very satisfactory.
All I have to do now is wrap Pa,s gifts for tomorrow and then I can collapse in a heap with my dear little cat, I feel that I might even purr myself tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment