Wednesday 8 December 2010

CHRISTMAS PAST


I was the eldest of three children, I was five when my first brother was born and eleven when a second little brother came along. In those far off times the eldest children were expected to look after the younger ones when they were not in school and I was no exception. I took the responsibility very seriously firstly because I adored them both and secondly because if they got in to trouble of hurt themselves it was I who got the beating, as the middle brother was what is known as a little bugger this was an all too frequent occurrence.

Christmas presented wonderful opportunities for me as I was able to make a little money by going around the local farms to pluck and dress chickens,ducks and turkeys for the Christmas market. We were never given pocket money and so this was the only way to find the cash for buying presents for my brothers. I was quick and neat handed so I was given the ducks to do, these are more difficult to pluck neatly than hens as they have stiff short quills known to us as pens. Customers would complain if these were left in so care and patience was needed ,and as they were slower work the pay per bird was higher. Extra money was paid to those who could dress the birds, this consisted of removing the internal organs and separating the useful gibbets from the rest of the innards,I had been taught to do this by my father at a very early age and so I was well paid. I was the only girl who did this,at the time and thankfully the lads did not seem to mind me making inroads in to their domain.
When I had received my wages I would go on the Wednesday market bus (the only bus of the week) to a small pretty market town to buy gifts for my brothers, mum, dad and my maternal grandparents who lived with us at the farm. Feeling important I would walk slowly among the stalls looking at every thing, actually I always knew what I was going to buy for each person as I had been planning the occasion for weeks. For Granddad, Tom Thumb cigars the same for my father, perfume for my mother, chocolate for granny but most of the money was spent on the boys for the older brother I would buy the nicest, biggest toy car I could afford and for the youngest a cuddly toy , or building blocks,perhaps a toy aeroplane. My final purchase was always a small decoration for the Christmas tree, and I still buy one new decoration every year.
We were such a close family and the house was always full of people, aunties staying for the holidays were something we children loved.

I would plague my mother to allow us to put up the Christmas tree early until one year she agreed at last, and we set off at once to the coppice with a small saw. I chose a Sycamore branch which had the right shape and cut it down, then with my brother holding the branch I garnished it with silver spray pinched from Grannies Hobby box.
While mum Dad and Gran were out we put up out home made tree, helped by Granddad who knew more about what makes children tick than anyone I have ever know. Soon it glowed smugly in the corner, draped with tinsel and hung with fairy lights and baubles. In our eyes it was perfect. My mother was not keen on our tree, she said that it would look as if we could not afford a proper one, this was not too far from true in those days, but appearances were everything. My father and Grandfather reasoned with her and at last she agreed that our tree could stay.

All the family came to our house on Christmas day and the tree was very much admired. Friends from the village were so impressed that the following year we had competition for the best branches to decorate. We children were so proud of our tree and pleased by the praise we had received.
I have never forgotten how that small indulgence made three children feel so special that year, and it cost nothing.....well not quite nothing... I did get a clip round the ear from Gran when she found out that her spray can was empty.!

No comments:

Post a Comment