Friday 17 December 2010

AN EARLY START AND A LOVELY SUPRISE


I woke up this morning to the sound of my son thundering up the stairs, and his face beaming smiles around the bedroom door. As I sat up in bed I noticed that he was holding something behind his back and the next moment he presented me with an exciting looking parcel. Inside the package was a beautiful patterned jug, just the sort of thing I like ,there was also a card. By the time I had read all the lovely things that people had written I was close to tears and when my son read it he was a bit misty eyed too.
The gift was from my sons friends at work, a thank you for making them cookies from time to time, it was a kind and very thoughtful thing to do , and I am glad to know that the treats I send helps them a little, I know how very hard they all work, I also know how proud my son is of every one of them. For myself I thank them for making my sons life so much easier by their heroic endeavours.
The jug came at just the right time as I was recently given a large teapot and sugar bowl in exactly the same shade of blue,and the gorgeous jug gives the ensemble a rather dashing air. I shall be proud to use it at tea time and the shelf where it is displayed looks all the better for the new addition.
I had to rush off to the shops this morning as I needed some copydex,to finish my sons fancy dress costume. Just before I left the house it began to snow and by the time I had reached the shops I looked like a mobile snowman, a fact which gave great enjoyment to some children who were being sent home early by their prudent teachers. We exchanged a few snowballs, it was great fun to play in the snow again. I enjoyed my adventure and the buggy preformed well on about three inches of snow.
On my return I set about making some cranberry and walnut cakes,a recipe from an American cookery book, and one that I have been meaning to try for some time. It is an odd recipe as the butter is melted and goes in after all the other ingredients have been added. Fortune favoured me and the cakes came out of the oven looking exactly like the picture in the book. They must stand for at least a day before they are eaten, the book says, so that all the flavours mingle, I hope they taste as good as they look.
Dinner tonight was a cottage pie topped with cheese and served with carrots, parsnips and lots of rich gravy, I was so hungry and it was just right for tonight, I ate a healthy helping and feel much better for it.
The Christmas meat arrived today while I was out buying glue. The turkey is a free range bronze one and It cost a lot less than the same thing brought locally. The duck too is a free range one and cost only pennies more than a Tesco bird and taste so much better. The rest of the hamper was made up of bacon. A rabbit, gammon steaks,pork steaks, some diced mixed game , chicken and beef.
Almost everything is ready in the house now so that if we are mewed up we shall still have a good dinner on Christmas day, old habits die hard!
I still have quite a lot of baking to do but it is the sort of baking that is fun, I love playing with all the rich ingredients that go to make Christmas special. The house smells lovely and spicy, and people keep dropping in for coffee or tea and cake, I cook with an audience like a T.V chef, the language is a little better though, just a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment