Thursday 10 February 2011

HAPPINESS IS A HOT COOKIE


What a rainy day it has been,my little cat has spent much of the day curled up on one comfy chair of another and finally settled down for a long nap on my desk curled up around the lava lamp.
I decided to spend a day in the kitchen and to begin with cooked a full English breakfast for Pa and myself. I love the taste of bacon fried on a griddle so I did lots and we had two eggs each and fried tomatoes too, and we took our time over our meal before getting on with the days chores.
I usually bake cookies on a Friday but as it was such a soggy sort of day I decided to do them today. I made eighty cookies, all of them butter short cakes, some decorated with cherries and some with walnuts for a change. As the batches came out of we oven we had some with hot milky coffee, there is nothing quite so nice as a hot cookie fresh from the oven and still a little soft.

While the cookies were baking I made a meat sauce and a white sauce for tonight's lasagne,requested by my son. He has to leave early tonight as he has a meeting to attend so I am glad to have something quick and tasty on the menu for tonight.

From the kitchen widow I can see the bird feeders and they have been even busier than usual today in spite of, or perhaps because of the rain. The poor old parakeets looked very wet indeed as they raided the peanut feeders. Each day we put out an apple for the parakeets and today was no exception. Today however a cheeky squirrel decided to make off with the apple right under the noses of the parakeets, a chase ensued that was worthy of a silent film as they attempted to head the squirrel off before it disappeared with the fruit. The noise was deafening for a few minutes but at last the squirrel made it over the fence and the birds gave up the chase.
Our tame blackbird came as usual for his sultanas and the blue tits were as busy as every helping themselves to suet and bread crumbs all day long.
I went out briefly this afternoon to buy a valentine card for Pa, I bought a gift for him last week, it is a beautiful magnifying glass in wooden case, he has a small one at the moment and this one is much bigger, a real Sherlock Holmes one, I hope he will like it.
The lane just below the house was flooding as I came home and all the trees were hung with shinning droplets of water. A car passed me in the lane and sent up a spray of water which soaked me to the skin, he was so busy laughing that he did nit see the van turning out of a side road, I felt sorry for the van driver. I suppose it is a case of what goes round comes round, rough justice. To be truthful I was already pretty well soaked so it did not matter much.
As soon as I was dried out and had changed my clothes I made a hot drink and sat for a while in my warm kitchen, it was almost worth the wetting to feel so comfortable and warm afterwards.

A friend of my sons is holding his birthday party here next week and I shall be making a large chocolate cake for the occasion. The picture on my very first blog is of a chocolate cake made for the birthday party of another friend of my sons so I shall have to have a look at it to make sure that this one is different. Maybe I shall make a chocolate fudge cake this time, my mother used to make this cake for me on my birthday when I was a child and it is my favourite cake still.
I shall also be making a cake for Valentines day, a heart shaped one filled with strawberry jam and cream, its no wonder I am putting on weight.

I am off now for a long soak in a nice hot bath so goodnight everyone , keep snug and keep safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment