Sunday 20 February 2011

TWAS THE DAY OF THE DUNGEONEER'S BIRTHDAY


Today one of the band of intrepid dungeoneers had his birthday party here at the cottage. They had as usual first spent the afternoon gaming in a deserted public house who's location seems to be a well kept secret as no one else ever goes there. My son is the dungeon master at present and gives no quarter I am told. Having killed thousands of daemons, finding treasure and locking each other up in dark oubliettes they had worked up quite an appetite for dinner.
It is the custom on these occasions for a very large amount of Chinese take away to be ordered and tonight was not exception. The poor fellow who delivered our order fairly staggered up the garden path. I had baked a large chocolate cake and also contributed a bottle of home made wild cherry vodka to get things off to a good start. A tradition at these parties is for every one to bring some outlandish beverage, the stranger the better. Once we had a bottle of brandy rescued from a Cornish shipwreck and last time a very expensive bottle of Scotch which to be frank tasted like fence paint mixed with horse lineament. It certainly put fur on my teeth when I tried a little!
Pa and I took our portion of food to a quiet place so as not to cramp the style of the revellers as they often remain in character at such times.
Judging by the noise they had a very good time and the cake vanished like a swamp mist in a fire storm. Our little cat who hates visitors retreated to my bedroom and hid under the bed until every one had safely left the premises. I have no idea why she is so afraid of this particular group as they are all really nice people who like cats. One of the group, a particular friend of long standing has in the past stayed at out cottage to look after our pets while we were away.
I had a good old baking session again this afternoon. This time it was a large batch of Ramshaw Rockies, A gorgeous chunky cookie full of walnuts , dates , peanut butter and this time I added some papaya for a change. I tried one while they were still warm....the cooks perk....and it was smashing. Quite a few of these will go with my son to work to share among his colleges, the rest will no doubt be eaten by Pa who loves them.

My neighbour popped round at lunch time with a dish of cauliflower cheese just ready to be finished under the grill. This dish is a speciality of his and is heaps better than my own recipe, he has a secret ingredient, he says. Whenever he makes the dish he always makes and extra dish for me, it is a real treat, and it tastes wonderful.

I managed to have a quiet time last evening and munched my way through a few naughty treats, I did enjoy it, and afterwards I slept like a log for four hours a record for me these days and I feel much better for it.

I do hope you had a good weekend stress free and happy and here's to a new week ahead, every day a new adventure, it certainly has been around here of late!

No comments:

Post a Comment