Sunday 17 April 2011

BLASTED BARBECUES


We made an early start this morning as my son was expecting guests, even Pa managed to get up almost on time and we had our breakfast in peace and without having to hurry .This does not often happen on a Sunday.
One of my sons friends arrived with a gift of chocolates and a bottle of damson gin which was a lovely surprise and a welcome addition to the drinks cupboard,. I was one given a bottle of Australian gin by one of my sons friends and very good it was. My next job was a quick trip to the supermarket for some odds and ends and then on my return I made a jelly and a cheese cake, threw my apron in to the laundry basket and went out in to the garden.....bliss.

But not for long. The sweet smell of hawthorn and chestnut blossom was obliterated almost at once by the foul stench of barbecue lighter fuel. Why in the name of a thousand wonders do people feel the need to use the wretched stuff? Never have I used it and never do I intend to. It is easy to get a barbecue going without anything except paper ,a few dry twigs and some small pieces of charcoal to begin with building up to large chunks as the fire takes hold.
It seems to me that since most people now have central heating the art of fire lighting has been forgotten. It does seem a pity that every fine afternoon and evening is now ruined by the pungent pong of para fine and later the smell of charring meat caused by to much fat and a fire that is not really ready to cook on. I often barbecue large joints of pork, whole chickens ,fish and lamb and I never ,ever produce a smell that could offend and one except a vegetarian....moan over!

In spite of the stench it was lovely to be out of doors, I took a tray of tea and some shortbread in to the garden as I pottered about My robins were in constant attendance as usual. We are feeding them meal worms now and the feeding area,s are busier that ever as the parent birds run a shuttle service from the tables to their nests where hungry mouths are waiting for the largess. Meal worms are high in protein and fats, just what a growing fledgling needs, along with small suet pellets. Magpies, Jays and Kestrels permitting we should soon have some fine healthy youngsters flitting about the garden.

I am jolly glad that tonight's diner is quiche and salad as there is as yet not sign of those for whom the meal has been prepared. This often happens on weekend s and I try to make weekend meals as flexible as possible so all is well. However after a busy day I am rather tired and so I shall have a bath while I wait for the troops to arrive. Once we have all eaten all I shall have to do is clear the kitchen, take the hoses down(the garden is bone dry again) and see Pa safely bathed, then I shall be able to relax and enjoy the end of the weekend with a glass of Damson gin and a chocolate or two. What could be nicer that that?

No comments:

Post a Comment