Tuesday 5 April 2011

CLAER OUT


Today I decided to clear out all my bedroom drawers ans cupboards and throw away the clutter,not a task for the faint hearted but as Pa was at the hospital for most of the day and it was too wet to do any gardening it seemed like a good idea at the time. While there is no doubt what-so-ever the the job was long over due had I know how long it was going to take I might well have made an excuse to leave it for another time....I found out far too late to change my mind.

I began systemically at first clearing a drawer at a time, the system did not last long. Whilst trying to attain some kind of order, and the bed and desk being by now piled high the problem was obvious, In trying to house items in a sensible order it had become necessary to empty several drawers at once in order to have somewhere to put things. Does that make sense......I hope so!

I began at twelve and at four I had filled several bin bags with old Christmas,birthday, anniversary and other miscellaneous salutatory items. There were numerous odd gloves, odd socks, and odd earring whose other half I have been seeking in some cases for years. Of course now that I have thrown them away their missing partners will ,I have no doubt turn up shortly , such is life!
Next came the acres of old bank statements, ancient invoices and telephone bills which I threw away with a degree of trepidation having been told as a young housewife never to throw such things away........just in case. If I lived in the T.A.R.D.I.S. This might be practical, as I do not I bit the bullet and dumped many years worth of these documents. If someone now wishes to sue me for some oversight on my telephone bill back in nineteen hundred and frozen stiff he may do so with impunity!

Eventually order was restored and I now know where everything is, I mean everything. Now if I should be rushed in to hospital the things I shall need klio,i are all in one place and any other items can easily be found.
I feel very virtuous and very tired, the room looks lovely and I actually have several empty drawers, think of the fun I shall have filling them again.

The early part of the day was remarkable. My son gave me coffee and toast in bed, a thing he often does, bless him, so nothing unusual there. It was when I went down stairs to start getting Pa up and ready for hospital that I got a huge surprise. Not only was he up, he was dressed, his bed was made and he had laid the table for breakfast, I was speechless. I has been a very long time since such a thing has occurred and I was close to tears. He looked so proud of himself and a little bashful, I could not praise him enough and made him his favourite porridge for breakfast as we needed to be quick. Tomorrow I am determined to cook him bacon and eggs as a treat. He left on time for his appointment and I did not have to chivvy him along at all. To start the day without all the usual stress has been wonderful and I cannot believe how much better I feel for being more relaxed.

I made pizza for dinner, topped with tomato mozzarella, ham, olives , sun dried tomato and garlic. This was eaten with a big fresh salad and we finished off yesterdays jelly for afters.

My little cat is missing Charlie and has been very clingy today. She keeps on going out side to look at the cage and the she comes back on and positively howls the place down. She settled down at last on the chair in my bedroom and stayed with me as I worked only moving to follow me every time I went into another room. Poor little cat, she misses him as much as the rest of the family

Tonight Twiggy and I will settle down in our tidy room, today has been a special one, for the first time in a long time I felt that Pa was truly his lovely old self, it has been wonderful to have him back, if only for a little while and I am so happy tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment