Wednesday 6 June 2012

WHERE THERES A WINDOW





I remember the day we came to look at the cottage,just three weeks before we moved in and less than two weeks since I had been release form hospital after a serious illness. We all adored the cosy rooms, the large kitchen and the huge potential in the neglected garden and orchard.

Waking on the first morning felt like being on holiday and in a way that feeling still remains as I find it utterly amazing that we could ever be lucky enough to have our home in this lovely place. Over the years we have made a few changes and returned the gardens to their former condition but for me there has always been one small sadness about which it seemed nothing could be done...until today.
In my bedroom there is a door which leads into a small room which slopes down at the eaves in which there are some shelves and a window which open s on to a beautiful view of the orchard and I have always wanted to use that little room as a place to read quietly or just sit in the open window on a hot evening.

Having two windows in a room help keep it cool in hot weather but until today it was stuffed full of bedding, and winter clothes ,mostly Pa's and mostly not worn for many years it was not at all attractive to look at,in fact I was glad to close the door on the mess.
Galvanised by the thought of the impending building work I decided once and for all that I would make better use of the space and I ordered a dozen vacuum bags.

Today I systematically stuffed all the unused togs, duvets ,winter coats and blankets into these bags and having sucked out all the air with a vacuum cleaner I was able to fit the whole lot on to the shelves and under my bed leaving the main part of the room clear. I placed a blanket chest under the window and covered it with soft cushions then hung my silk dresses around the walls and over the shelves so that the storage bags could not be seen.

My happiness with he result is boundless as I mow have a quite space for contemplation and another view of the grounds which will make my sleepless nights more interesting. Now that the room is tidy I can leave the door open and this means that there is much more light on the room than formerly the little room even has a small radiator so that it is never cold even in winter time.

Such a small space and yet the difference it has made is enormous. Oh yes, Twiggy loves it too so that makes two happy souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment