Friday 12 November 2010

FARE WELL TO THE FLYNG LOO SEAT


We have had a brilliant day, Friday is always very busy and as a rule it is also an almighty pain in the behind, not this time. Pa was up first, yes first and dressed before the morning p f tea was made, we were almost all ready when the grocery delivery arrived. I say almost as for once it was I who was a little late arriving down stairs, even so I was in time to do my share of putting away the shopping while my son cleaned and rearranged the fridge. Amazingly by ten we were sitting down to breakfast and chattering away, mostly about politics and items of news. The crumpets and croissant , cooked by my son were delicious and I enjoyed being waited on exceedingly.
Breakfast over I set about the bread making, Three loaves today, made with half Kamut and half English wheat,I floured the crust and they came out very well.
While the bread baked we washed up, revelling in the wonderful smell and planning our evening meal.
Pa went off to feed the birds, my son went off to clean his room and I popped out for a breath of air before commencing battle with the loo. The seat has been in a dilapidated condition for some time for some time having aquired a tendency to tip it,s occupant off sideways,, one of the bolt having rusted through. The new seat was purchase weeks ago but finding the time or indeed the strength to tackle the job, rendered difficult by the awkward position of the loo. Having possessed ourselves of pliers, monkey wrench and if all else failed a hack saw we attacked the decrepit article. Taking in to account it,s derelict condition it was surprisingly reluctant to give up the ghost entirely, the plastic butterfly nuts proved to be stronger than the metal screws they held in place. Brute force, bad language and the hack saw were all called in to play and at last the old seat came off.....and to think I had been worried that it would fall off unaided......typical!

We soon had the new one in place and slapped each other on the back, comrades in adversity triumphant,all that remained to be done was the hoovering and the steaming which we soon finished in record time, all thanks to Pa, who as well as getting up early helped with the chores by dusting the living room.

We celebrated with a feast of cooked meats, five sorts of cheese antipasto olives salad and crusty bread with fresh fruit to follow. I tapped a demi john of red wine, three years old for a treat, it complemented the cheeses well.
Thoroughly exhausted we all collapsed and decided on a lazy evening,our cat was at last able to settle down without being molested by a hoover nozzle or a cloud of steam, I believe she hates Friday,s even more than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment