Monday 1 November 2010

FRIENDS AND ARTISANS


We were up with the larks this morning,meaning that we were out of bed much earlier than usual as we were expecting the plumber and two electricians. I for one was glad to get up having not slept at all due to galloping sciatica...very nasty,avoid it if you can. My son was breakfasted and packed off to bed in record time and I was about to make a pan of porridge for Pa and I when the first of the expected artisans arrived, the plumber. He is a man of great experience and total honesty, rare enough in these times and we are lucky to know him. He fixed the old tap up temporarily and will returnnin a few days with a new mixer tap for the kitchen, for which relief much thanks.
Breakfast over and the washing up completed the electricians arrived. I am not quite so sanguine about these two as they often have to return several times to get the job done properly. They looked at the grill, noted down the name of the cooker and the number of the part and left saying that they would have to order it. This bodes ill as I have in the past waited for months while they try to locate a part available on the internet with a next day delivery date.
As they departed two more visitors arrived, welcome ones as they are good fun and are usually full of news and gossip, it cheers Pa up enormously to have a couple of men to chat to, they are two of the nicest people we know and we often invite them for breakfast,always a merry occasion.
After they left the kitchen needed to be cleared of dishes and some laundry sorted .
Happily the whole business was over in good time which was just as well as I needed to bake more bread. A friend of ours had given me some special flour and asked me to bake her a loaf, as we also needed more bread I was delighted to be able to bake some,and as soon as it was done I trundled off to hand it over while it was still warm. She was both pleased and surprised to get her loaf so quickly and I was glad to have it off my mind, I am a little forgetful these days.
The next job was to begin at last to wrap the Christmas presents for my family “up north”. This will also include birthday gifts for my lovely mum who is eighty six and has her birthday very close to Christmas. I rarely see her these days as travelling with Pa is Impossible and Mam is also unable to travel. I hope next year to get some respite care for Pa so that I can go home for a few days, I can not tell you how much I miss her and my handsome brothers, There are new babies in the family as yet unseen except in photographs.
I made a big pan of creamy celery soup for dinner and we had cheese and crackers to finish along with some fresh fruit, just right for tonight.
I hope to sleep tonight as I am due to see the doctor first thing tomorrow, she can spot bags under the eyes through any make up you care to name. My blood pressure was rather high last month so I shall try to relax and hope for the best, you never know, I might get lucky this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment