Wednesday 17 November 2010

TREE UP AND TREES DOWN


I an not at all sure that I shall be able to post this blog tonight as my internet connection is on the Fritz, even so I shall soldier on just on the chance.
I had determined to decorate our Christmas tree today, yes I know it is obscenely early but not only do we love Christmas but also I knew that today I would have the time to finish the job in one go. Things,as you know do not always go according to the manual in this establishment!

The bread was made, breakfast eaten and the dishes washed in good time and off I went to brave the dark spidery cavern which masquerades as a walk in wardrobe,the repository of much unused paraphernalia and the home of our large collection of decorations.
I located the items in question and was about to begin when the familiar sound of chain saws and strimmers came from the church yard behind our house. Those who have been reading this waffle of mine will know that we recently won a battle with the local Authority so stop the destruction of valuable wild life habitat ..What a pity some one did not pass the message on to the contractors.

Armed with a copy of the letter stating that not more work was to be done I grabbed a a full arm crutch and set off down the road like a knight galloping in to the lists. What followed was a verbal battle of epic proportions, my self , the contractors, and the dilly from the council,with occasional intervention from the contractors head office. Eventually they stopped. Needless to stay the committee is seriously displeased at this breach of faith ,yet we do not despair as we now have the Bishop batting on our side, we shall see. So after lots of phone calls ,a couple of shirty emails and a coffee I returned to the festive task of putting up the tree whilst pondering the destruction of yet more trees in the graveyard. Dressing the tree took ages but it is well worth the trouble. We have some lovely things to hang up, some are quite old, bought for me when I was a small child and still treasured. Others are more recent additions but all are loved and we greet them each year as old friends.

Decorating the house for the festive season takes several week and is done in stages, the wall decotations will go up in a few days, my son will put up his own tree in his room next week,and the kitche will be adorned with streamers baubles holly, ivy and fir cones right up until Christmas eve when the fresh holly and greenery is brought in. We really do celebrate the festival of winter with all our hearts. The cat twiggy was not at all happy with the disturbance but I know that within a day of two she will be found roosting under the tree.....what a poser she is....and will be quite bereft when we take it down again.
Dinner was a quick meal of fried chicken, I have a secret recipe for the coating, served with sweet potato and roast squash, and very tasty it was in spite of being done in a hurry
I note as I write that it is raining again I suspect that we shall all have webbed feet by the end of winter if it continues this way.

Sadly I have just learned of the death of my dear Uncle Jack, the nicest kindest most gentle and generous uncle any child could wish for. His goodness coloured my entire chilhood and has left so many wonderful memories to treasure for ever. My great sadness now is that I shall be unable attend the funeral as I cannot travel with Pa and he certainly cannot be left alone. My Uncle would understand, I only hope that the rest of the family are as understanding. Oh well it can not be helped on the day I shall sit quietly and remember all the fun and happiness that always surrounded the most amazing Uncle in the world, he really was magical to me,

No comments:

Post a Comment