Saturday 15 January 2011

THE TIDE HAS TURNED


I am glad to say that my son ate something at last, two nicely poached eggs on granary toast some orange juice and a cup of tea, this is the first solid food he has eaten since Tuesday.Ithink it will be several days before he is up and about. I hope that I can stay on my feet as there is no one left to look after every one if I become much worse. I feel queasy all the time and cooking is difficult I am becoming desperate, it is frightening to have this weight of responsibility pressing down when I feel so ill. I usually get by but things have worsened over the last few months and I am now so tired that I have nothing left to fight with.

The one good thing to have come out of this is that my son is at last beginning to realise that he needs to think seriously about a change of job. At the moment he is overworked and seriously undervalued by the people for whom he make a considerable amount of money. I would be damned before I would bust my britches for a company who could not be bothered to do annual appraisals and who ignored the productivity of its employees by not giving them a pay rise for two years.
Thankfully the scales have fallen from is eyes and at last he is thinking about leaving them to rot. I am certain that there are companies out there who would appreciate his undoubted abilities. He has been bound by a sense of loyalty his to employers which they frankly do not deserve and I has taken me much time and effort to make my son realise this.

The trouble is that he loves the job and the people with whom he works closely and feels that he cannot let them down. While I find this laudable it is the sort of loyalty that companies like this depend upon to maintain the status quo.
I am and always have been a bit of a rabble rouser, at the tender age of twenty three I brought a very large pottery factory out on strike, a thing unheard of in those times. The strike lasted no more than two hours and we got our colleague reinstated. It pays a man to know his own worth..

I am not sure if his resolve will last beyond his current weakened condition but I hope so.
I am quite prepared to support him until he finds what he wants to do.
There are some great people working with my son , all of them hero's in their way and all of them working for a bunch of ungrateful shysters. Who wants to keep on being shafted week after week?
I want to see my boy happy again and not constantly having to do battle with people who seem to have no understanding of what they are asking their employees to do. The place is full of the usual yes men and toadies, worthless dross on large salaries while the people who do all the work take home a pittance. We have gone to far down this road, a company that wants to save money should get rid of these free loaders and do more to encourage productivity by treating the work force with a little respect. This should not be too much to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment