Tuesday 15 March 2011

DOCTORS ORDERS


Surprisingly my son and I were both wide awake quite early this morning and while I do not pretend that it was a pleasure to have to dress quickly and go out it was much less painless than we had expected. The taxi was on time and the driver wove skilfully in and out of the horrendous morning traffic getting us to the surgery in good time. There is a splendid cab company close by who are reliable and honest, they are also patient and kind making sure that I have enough room for my legs , they are by now familiar with my health problems and do all they can to help. My son always uses them when he needs to get somewhere in a hurry as their prices are very reasonable and they are helpful with luggage, shopping and so on.

Back to the surgery and mine was the first appointment. I explained about my recent bout of pain and she agreed with me that a scan was necessary and a referral back to the Urologist. The usual tests showed that I have an infection so an anti biotic was prescribed along with my usual prescription ,also some strong painkillers for which I am grateful. During the consultation my doctor broke the news that she was expecting a child soon and would be on six months maternity leave from the end of March. I must admit that her condition had not escaped my notice but I had been reticent about mentioning it. I shall miss her, she is a wonderful Doctor, she listens , a rare
trait in the medical profession these days.

My sons blood pressure is now normal again which is a relief all round. He has lost over Fifteen kilos in the past three months which is helping things along. He eats salad now and eschews sweets and desserts which is more than I can say for myself at the moment.

On our return home we had lovely poached egg and toast breakfast after which Pa went off to get our prescriptions filled while I prepared the meat and vegetables for tonight feast of roast pork with trenchers, and roasted vegetables,with a tray of jacket wedges and an assortment of dips, including one made with roasted garlic and sage. This when spread on a trencher of bread and topped with a thick slice of the succulent pork is absolutely amazing, the honeyed parsnips and squash are a favourite too. With the preparation complete I made a blueberry jelly for tomorrow,it is very low in calories which means that my son can have some. After all that I was shattered so I went upstairs for a little rest and promptly fell asleep. I awoke to find the cat taking liberties with my hot-water-bottle which had fallen on to the floor, typical!

I am still not back to normal yet but I am pleased with my progress so far. I just want to be well enough for my garden before I miss the planting season, I do love being out of doors.
My son keeps on saying how good it is to be at home, he is tired I know and I intend to ensure that he rests this week , left to his own devices he will work on his book for hours at a time,he really does love to write.
One thing occurred to me this morning , the diarist Samuel Pepys also suffered quite dreadfully from kidney stones. He had such a bad time having them removed (by means best not discussed) that every year after for as long as he lived he celebrated “the day he was relived of the stone”. He has my sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment