Friday 25 March 2011

SUN AND GAMES


Some of the first seeds I sowed a few days ago have germinated, it seems that the sunflowers cannot wait to get started and this morning several strong little shoots had appeared above the compost in my window sill propagator. I hope that the courgettes and squashes will follow shortly , it is exiting to see the small shoots appear, and as soon as the first seed leaves appear I shall transfer the plants to the growing tunnel until it is time to plant them out in the garden.

Pa decided not to get up this morning and so I fretted and fumed while I waited for him to eat his breakfast, I wanted very much to make an early start in the garden while the fine weather holds but alas it was after two before I was able to escape by which time my temper was just a little frayed!
Thankfully it did not take long for the sun shine and fresh air to work their magic,and and soon I was myself again.

All through the morning my little cat had been running in and out of the back door unable to understand why I was still indoors, when I finally appeared in the orchard she did several joyous laps of the garden climbing every tree as she went and the settled down to watch me work, happy at last.

I decided to do some digging ,I have to do a little at time these days, there was a time not so very long ago when I could dig all day cook dinner and then go out for the evening, not any more. Old age and decrepitude have well and truly set in ,but life has it,s compensations I find and it was time I hung up my guns as it were.
Pa joined me in the garden during the later part of the afternoon and it was he who discovered a female blackbird on the ground beside the cold frames. She seemed to be uninjured but her eyes were closed and She did not struggle as I picked her up. This is quite a regular occurrence here as we have kestrels nesting in the vicinity and they seem to be very fond of blackbirds. I saw the male bird yesterday hovering over the orchard and for about and hour every other bird in the garden melted away to hide in the ivy until the coast was clear. Kestrels sometimes take a blackbird on the wing and if their grip is not good the lucky ones escape, I have seen this happen many times, a mature blackbird will put up quite a fight , it is often the young, inexperienced birds newly fledged that fall victim to the beautiful but ruthless killer. This time My lady Blackbird lived to fly again and within half an hour she flitted off into the graveyard where there is more cover.

All too soon it was time to go indoors , I prepared some ham and cheese sandwiches and salad for my son's packed super and then made a meal of home made steak burgers with lots of fries onions and salad. My son then finished of the blueberry jelly left over from yesterday. I was very good jelly as I put in a large shot of blueberry vodka for extra flavour.

My poor old legs are beginning to feel the strain of several days in the garden but I will never give in. I shall slap on some pain relief cream, take a couple of pain killers and carry on, it is certainly worth the effort to have all the lovely fresh things to eat all through the year, no gain without pain as they say.

A hot bath and a pot of good strong tea will soon sort me out and hopefully a good nights sleep. I also have squirrelled away a few naughty treats to munch while I watch a film if sleep eludes me. Be Prepared.

It has been such fun to be out in the sunshine and I hope with all my heart that the fine weather lasts a little longer, and if it does not , I shall make a batch of lemon curd and some gooseberry jam as I have some frozen ones left over from last year. As you see I shall not be bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment