Wednesday 2 March 2011

GOSSIP AND OTHER AMUSEMENTS


Today began in the usual way with Pa riveted to his bed and refusing to budge. I made a batch of piklets scattered over with sultanas and served with butterscotch sauce and told him that he would not get any if he stayed in bed. That did the trick and I am pleased to report that he eat six quite large ones. He has at last begun to gain weight and I can not say what a great relief that is, he had become so very thin and as his health is poor it is a real concern.
We have for some time been looking for a garden trolley to help with the outside jobs and having located the ideal thing at a local garden centre I set off on the buggy to buy one. As you can imagine the trolley was rather large and my buggy is rather small so the question was how to get it home. I wondered if it would tow behind the buggy , no it would not Then I thought about tying it on somehow, perhaps with a bungee but that was no use either. Than as I was about to give up I tried putting it over the seat and leaning on it to prevent it from falling of ,this worked perfectly and I trundled proudly home with my prize to the amusement of a good many passing motorists and to the amazement of Pa who had though it could not be done. To be honest I had had my doubts but I little inventiveness goes a long way . I have carried some very odd things home on the buggy by now and am used to the stares and the peals of laughter as I go by.

While I was out several people stopped me to ask about the hotel, so far every one who has spoken to me about it hates the idea and these people were no exception. If the owners do try to obtain retrospective planning permission they may find it a little more difficult to obtain than they expected.

An old friend popped in this afternoon for tea bringing more gossip and mews and we had a good time for an hour or so discussing the goings on in the village . I like to have people popping in It is good for Pa to have a little company other than mine and I too enjoy hearing the local news from and entertaining source.

Dinner tonight was a steak and kidney casserole and very nice it was, perfect for a cold winter day and I brought some kale in from the garden to serve with dinner along with mashed carrot and swede. I have three types of kale in the garden this year. Black kale ,Russian Kale and of course green curly kale, the best of all I think. It stays green even in the worst winter weather and provides a regular crop for the table until mid April. It certainly gives value for ,money.

I must bake again soon as the biscuit tins are both empty, a dreadful state of affairs. I should never live it down if I was caught out, bur for now its off to the bathroom for a long leisurely soak ….bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment