Sunday 1 May 2011

THE ALLOTMENT OPEN DAY


Very early this morning I was up and about preparing for the open day, as I drank my first cup of coffee of the day I checked that all the items which I was contributing were present and correct and then put the shortbread in to a large tin. At eight I made coffee for Pa and tidied up a little and then I set off for the allotments. Several people were already there putting up stalls and I was just in time to help raise a gazebo. This was tricky as there was a strong breeze and the whole thing wanted most desperately to fly, with six of us holding on we finally managed to anchor it firmly and in spite of the wind it stayed in place all day.

I was responsible for the bric-a-brac stall and there was a good deal of stuff to lay out. People had been very generous and had given us some really lovely and in some cases quite expensive things to sell. There was a stall selling tea, coffee and home made soft drinks as well as the most amazing array of cakes, cookies, crumpets and gateau and all home made, my shortbread went to the refreshment stall . The stars of the stall were some gorgeous meringues which were a magical mixture of sweetness and lightness. This stall was well patronised throughout the day and with tables and chairs for seating there was a steady stream of hungry customers. The raffle did wonderfully well and to my amazement I won two super little velvet hush puppies with big sad soulful eyes and my tombola ticket won for me a cute grey duck. I never win anything as a rule so I was very pleased.

Our plant stall was as you would expect well stocked with wonderful plants of both flower and vegetable and some large house plants which sold well.

People began to arrive early and we were selling by nine thirty, trade was brisk and soon the money boxes were rattling. By twelve there was a lull and as Pa had had no breakfast I nipped home to toast some muffins and make a pot of tea. While we were eating our meal my son arrived home, two hours early but very welcome indeed. He is good at arriving when the teapot is full, a family trait to be sure.

Now that there was someone to look after Pa I nipped back to the open day and my stall, By now the church congregation were leaving after morning service which at our church is always followed by tea and sandwiches. Between one and two O clock they patronised our stalls and their contributions were most welcome.
Occasionally during the course of the afternoon things would go a little quiet and then one of our number a very persuasive lady indeed took a walk down to the river where there are always lots of people on a Sunday and roped in more customers. Single handed she kept us supplied with people all afternoon and deserves a vote of thanks for her efforts and for the fact that she handed out over three hundred fliers in the preceding week.

I Popped home briefly to put the pork joint in the oven and then went back to the fĂȘte and at about five we decided to call it a day. Everyone was tired but it was clear that the day had been a huge success.
I hurried home to serve dinner to my hungry boys and at around seven the secretary rang to let me know that we had raised the money we needed for our moth light box and plenty more besides. She was thrilled as was I.

The weather had been perfect and because the day was fine there were lots of people out for the day, I had encountered a party of ramblers on my way to the fĂȘte and had diverted them through the allotments to our refreshment stall, the had asked me the way to the river....well they did not ask for the shortest way, now did they, and beside alls fair in love war and allotment open days!

This has been a tough week for me but it has ended on a terrific high, our conservation group has worked so hard during the winter to ensure a safe environment for our dwindling wild life and to safe guard the green spaces in our village for those who will come after us, Now we have the funds to help us in our fight . We can now buy the equipment which will help us to collect more information about wild residents ,the night fliers and rovers.and all of this information will give us the ammunition we need to keep the developers and the council sponsored vandals from doing and further damage to our lovely little village.

Almost as if to set the seal on our efforts as we were leaving a pair of orange tip butterflies fluttered their mating dance for us and as we closed the gate the pair alighted on a leaf to mate. We hope that our activities will ensure their presence and the presence of other species for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment