Saturday 21 May 2011

THE FLESH IS WEAK


This morning the garden was again a priority but before I could go out to play I had to bake two large sticky gingerbread cakes and four dozen cookies. Yesterday I was caught without a cookie in the place, thank heavens I still had a few slices of banana cake left to hand around. We really have been almost overwhelmed with callers this week, I think perhaps people are keeping an eye on us as they know our son is away........if he set this up I shall marmalise him......we have not had a moments peace all week!

The cakes and cookies were made while Pa was still in bed and by the time he was ready for breakfast I had cleared the kitchen, made a herb and milk infusion for a sauce to be eaten with dinner ans opened the greenhouse windows...phew!
Both of us liked the idea of pancakes so I made a batch and for the first time in ages we did not have guests for breakfast, after the week we have had it seemed rather odd. With breakfast over and the dishes done I buggied of to the florists to collect the welcome home balloon which I ordered on Monday, when I returned I was free at last to join twiggy in the garden.

My old bones were aching and my muscles were sore but I thought that some exersise would shake the knots out so I got out the mower and cut the grass paths I the flower garden them edged them neatly, it make such a difference to the gardens appearance and besides I love the smell of cut grass.
With that in mind I decided to strim the pathways in the vegetable garden and through the orchard, I leave the orchard as long as possible to give the bluebells a chance to seed an dindeed todat=y I only cut a swath through to the gooseberry bushes as tomorrow I begin to pick and prserve thee useful and delicious fruits.

Sunny windy days meant that every thing needed to be watered and apart from the small walled garden I managed to get round the lot. Deciding that I had had enough I went I doors to cook dinner . The pain in my knee was getting worse by the minute and so I decided to get on quickly before I was forced to stop work altogether. Thankfully the preparations I made in the morning meant that there was little left to do except to cook the meat sauce and the marrow rings and serve which I just about managed along with the washing up. Pa said that he would wipe the table for me and thankfully I limped upstairs to take some pain relief tablets and take a bath,. I fear that there will be no gardening tomorrow.

Jam making can be just as much fun.....well thats what I keep telling myself, it is certainly satisfying to see the shelves and cupbourds filling during the fine summer months with ahoard of good things for use in the winter time. Jars of home made jams, jelly and chutneymake exellent gifts at Christmas and all our friends have favourites which we make sure they receive.

One of my sons friends brings us the most amzing damson chutney made by his mother and it is always welcome, she is an excellent cook and very acomplished as she also makes and decorates edding cakes with the most spectacular and beautiful edible flowers. We swap recipes and send each other anything new which we have made, it is good to get an honest oppinion.

My son has spent his day wandering along cliff tops and seems to have spent a good deal of time searching for a dolmen, He found it at last tucked away from beiw and with not a single sign post to mark its possition. This is no was to treat the oldest structure on the island, but there, perhaps they do not care for such things on Sark. The slow pace of island life seems to have taken hold and he is feeling lazy and relaxed, for him this is a novelty believe me.

I shall now go and strap up my poor old knee and maake a hot drink before settling down to watch a film, I can not decide what to watch, perhaps The Wicked Lady or maybe The Demolition Man...hum, decisions decisions. Night, night.

No comments:

Post a Comment