Tuesday 17 May 2011

TWENT NINE YEARS AGO TODAY


Today is my sons twenty ninth birthday,and on the day that he was born I was also twenty nine years old. When I look back on that day I still feel the rush of joy and wonder that such a marvellous creature could come into the world and I am certain that this feeling will never faded

He was born perfect with not a wrinkle, and he was born smiling. He was born in a small cottage hospital in a market town a few miles from my home he was delivered by my own G.P who insisted upon being there for the birth. Having no experience in such matters I did not realise that I had been in labour for some time as I had for over a month been experiencing what used to be called false contractions and I just assumed that these were more of the same.,but by two in the morning it was obvious that this was the real thing at last.

Driving through the dark country lanes in the middle of the night lent an air of unreality to the unfolding events and when we arrived at the hospital and I walked up the stair I felt that these things were happening to someone else, I felt almost drugged and was enveloped in a feeling of calm and peace.

I should like to say that this continued throughout the birth but soon enough the reality of my situation forced itself upon my notice manifested in the rending rearing pains which outraged my body and seared my brain. All the time Pa held my hand or bathed my face and from time to time gave me iced water to drink, he never flinched , he was a tower of strength all through the night.

Dawn came and I could see the sun rising through the windows opposite my bed and still the pains continued, I was very tired and wanted to sleep. Sister Savin, I shall never forget her, stroked my head and said “You can sleep soon, you are doing fine.” Throughout my labour and subsequent time in hospital she was wonderful, she gave me confidence, she was kind, she understood.

During the final stages of labour there were difficulties, my son, wouldn't you know it decided to try to be born shoulders first, rather like a man trying to knock down a door. Now the pain was truly dreadful and time seemed to stand still. Suddenly the unreal feeling returned and I was vaguely aware of my Doctor attempting to rectify the problem and whispered conversations. I caught the sentence.”Ten more minutes and we must send her to the General. “ I yelled out “Over my dead body.” Every one including me went back to work with a vengeance and at noon on a glorious sunny May morning I saw my son for the first time, and fell in love irrevocably.

Even the nurses said that they had never seen a more beautiful new born and my darling Sister Savin informed me that he had the distinction of being the longest baby delivered at the hospital, just my luck!.

My beautiful baby grew in to a dear little boy and them into a fine young man of whom we are justly proud. He battled with asthma all through school and he sat his G.C.S.E exams in a room by himself as his coughing and gasping was disturbing others students. In spite of his asthma he received commendations for sport and his teacher, amazed at his dedication told me that if the able bodied scholars worked only half as hard as my son the school would win every sports trophy in the county.

Thankfully the asthmas has become less of a problem although he still coughs and has trouble breathing at times, hay fever can trigger attacks but he will not allow this to stop him doing anything he wants to do.

My lovely boy hates to be praised , he blushes and becomes embarrassed when anyone praises him in any way, he is self effacing and modest to a fault.
Of course you could say that as his mother I would say all this but I promise you that I do not exaggerate how fine and special he is.
This morning we called him on Sark to wish him a happy birthday, he sounded happy and relaxed and not at all tired by his long journey yesterday.
So far he has laughed his way through life and I pray that he will continue to find life fun, I can think of no better wish on this special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment