Tuesday 17 August 2010

ANOTHER HAPPY DAY




The start of this week has been such a contrast to the last week my son was at home, everyone is relaxed and happy and the house is looking tidy again. Pa is responsible for the change in everyone's mood as once again he got up without us having to harass him for a couple of hours and we had breakfast cooked by my son nice and early, we cracked jokes all through the meal and I laughed so much I almost choked on a crumb!

After breakfast I toddled off to Tesco for some white poppy seeds and the boys asked me to bring back six box files, three each, Pa wanted some pyjamas and asked me to get some kippers, puzzled as to how I was going to transport that lot back on the buggie. I trundled off. I managed to get all the items and also a pair of fleece lined boots for myself. I had gone out in sandals, my feet got cold and I began to wonder what it would be like in winter. I found the perfect thing so I could not resist buying them, they were only twelve pounds.

Next came the question of how to get them home. I got through the checkout and with the help of a kind assistant piled the files under my legs, stuffed the boots in a bag over my arm and piled the rest of the things into the basket on the front of the buggie, with my handbag hung around my neck I set off feeling very intrepid. It is a good mile home from the shop and by the time I got there the only thing I could feel was the cramps in my legs also my bum was numb, an odd sensation I must say! Getting off the buggie was hilariously funny, I had to unfold myself like a piece of origami while off loading box files and kippers on to the boys, a last I staggered in to the kitchen and we all had coffee. Thankfully everyone was pleased with the purchases and the feeling returned to my posterior within a few moments.

Tonight's dinner was home made sausages with colchannon apples sauce and thyme gravy. The first of this season as it is a favourite autumn dish. I dug up a root of rooster potatoes, I have never grown them before and I can recommend them for taste, quality and yield. The kale is ready so I used some in the dish which is easy to make, you simply cook the potatoes and the kale separately then mash them together with a little butter and seasoning then heat about an ounce of butter and a desert spoon of olive oil in a frying pan, they press the mashed potato and kale in to the pan. Cook until browning underneath then flip over and cook the other side, you can of course cheat as I do and finish it off under the grill, much less flamboyant but what price bravado when your dinner is on the floor?

My son and I washed up the dinner things while Pa put the buggie away and that was the business of the day completed. We had a lovely relaxed and peaceful evening and my son had some excellent news, firstly he acquired a book for about a quarter of it's value and second he sold a book for eighty pounds, it made his night. We have all been so happy today, we really do love being together, and once we start laughing it is hard to stop. I am looking forward to curling up in bed tonight I am quite tired but the nice kind of tired if you know what I mean. I am planning a feast this week to celebrate Lammas, a little late but any excuse will do, I shall think about that as I fall asleep................lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment