Monday 16 August 2010

“OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY”




If I were to ask for a perfect day it could not come much better than today. My son started his week off and came home very happy, he brought my two cups of tea in bed and told me that Pa was already up. The Monday grocery delivery arrived on time and my son made a breakfast of hot buttered crumpets, croissant and jam with fresh orange juice and tea, we had fun during breakfast planning the weeks dinner menus. As soon as I had cleared the dishes I set about the bread making, just three white loaves today and then made some potato cakes on the griddle with some left over mashed potato for yesterday, they freeze well and will make a breakfast later in the week. Pa set off to the village to post a letter and pick up some items from the chemist and while he was gone I picked some French beans, pulled some carrots and turnips and also some fennel root.

On my return to the house I found the kitchen full of wasps, attracted by a sticky jam jar, as soon as I removed the temptation they left. I even managed to take a buggie ride for pleasure down to the river, the tide was low, but as always the island looked beautiful and it was pleasantly warm. The geese are flying in every evening now in long skeins, some times they fly past within a few feet of my window, we shall have them for company until spring, one of the skeins is lead by a white goose very unusual and very lovely, they always honk a loud good evening as they pass by, this is a truly wonderful place to live.

We all had tea together when Pa came home, which he did in record time, lots of small jobs outstanding for ages were done today and now all the lights and lamps are working, three bulbs in the kitchen array popped this week leaving the kitchen as dim as an oubliette as the weather was dull and rainy, today the sun shone and everything sparkled. Dinner was lovely and we finished with the fresh orange jelly made yesterday. My son and I larked about as we did the dishes and then I packed him off to bed as he had been up for about thirty-six hours. We are all so happy to have a week together and if today is any thing to go by it will be great. I am just happy that today was special ,we do have so much fun on days like this. It may not sound much but to me to have every one at home and in good spirits is all I need, I ask for no more. I hope you had a happy day too.
Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment