Monday 2 August 2010

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM




Today my son starts his week off and tomorrow he begins the mammoth task of decorating his room. This will involve a good deal of soul searching as he will be de-cluttering, what to throw out and what to keep, that is the question, I suspect he will find it difficult. I too am taking the opportunity to get rid of a good deal of my book collection as it is taking up more space than I can spare. The whole lot will, I hope be removed next week by a second hand book dealer. When I spoke to them last week they said they only collected if there were over a hundred books, it is enough to say that we qualify several times over. We all hate to let them go but needs must I am afraid. We ate breakfast together, buttered crumpets and croissants, then my son went off for a rest. Pa sorted out the re-cycling and I set about baking the day's bread, two large poppy seed loaves and two honey and walnut twists, I hope the later will sustain us tomorrow with cups of tea, when the going gets tough. Next I prepared a vegetable soup for our evening meal, it contained just about everything that is growing in the garden at the moment diced cooked for five minutes with a few rashers of bacon, simmered for thirty minutes then blitzed in the blender. Served with the crusty new bread it was lovely. I also made two apple cakes. One for us and one for the neighbours, who very kindly gave me half a dozen free-range eggs this morning.

The next job was ordering the meat for the next two months. We have been ordering from a butcher in Yorkshire for a number of years and while I must say his meat is wonderful there have of late been too many mistakes. Other peoples mistakes I can handle but I don't expect to be asked to pay for them so we have ordered this month from a Devon butcher who seems to stock some lovely meat and game and his website is much easier to use. Delivery is free and believe it or not the meat ends up cheaper than supermarket produce and the quality is amazingly good. I did some cleaning as this may be the last opportunity to hoover for a while and the kitchen looked like a bomb site this morning.

Needing a break I rode down to the canal and watched the barges going through the locks for a while then came ome to water the garden which is looking rather parched just now. Hell breaks loose tomorrow.....the decorating starts the meat order arrives and I have been asked to do a roast dinner for the troops, a request I feel unwilling to refuse. I made a blueberry jelly this morning for tomorrow's afters, so that will help cut things down to size. My neighbour has offered to help me construct the buggie shelter, not tomorrow I hope but as he sometimes has Tuesday off it is possible,so things may well get hectic. My son has asked me to be on hand in an advisory capacity as he has never done any decorating before, I think I shall brew a large batch of lemon balm tea, it is very good for stress, I expect that by tomorrow evening I shall have drunk several litres of the stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment