Sunday 1 August 2010

DOING NOTHING SLOWLY




People are always telling me I should relax more, remember your blood pressure, they say. I am not very good at relaxing largely because I never seem to have the time, this I am told is a poor excuse....rubbish I reply, who would pass up the chance to do nothing for a few hours. Today I put it to the test. This morning I stayed in bed until nine thirty, while I was doing nothing I flipped through a catalogue and ordered a pair of trousers and some slippers, this doing nothing seems expensive. Then still doing nothing I spent an hour on the internet tracking down a feather mattress topper.

Finally bored with doing nothing upstairs I went downstairs to do nothing there for a change. I thought while I was doing nothing I would wash up the dishes from my sons breakfast and Pa's super,I made a cup of coffee and went out into the garden to relax realising we needed some potatoes I dug up a root or two before remembering it was do nothing day, coincidently I also dug up an enormous ants' nest the result of which will, I suspect be with me for days to come!

Back indoors I realised that as I had got up so late there was not time for breakfast so I resurrected Pa from dreamland,by now it was 11-o-clock and informed him that lunch would be served in an hour. I prepared a meal of new potatoes , antipasto. cheeses and salad, very simple, and made some chilled fresh orange juice. Of course the washing up needed doing so after I had finished that I went upstairs to wrap a gift for my new great nephew, write a card for his parents,another for his grandparents and lastly a card for my mother, all of which was very relaxing. Finding the dryer full of tea towels and the washing machine full of bath towels I was about to short them out when I remembered I was supposed to be relaxing so I got out the buggie and went to the garden centre to do nothing somewhere different, there were an awful lot of people with the same idea so I drove round for while and then came home.

On my return I discovered the washing machine still full of towels and the dryer still full of tea towel and a note on the kitchen table asking if I could please wash some shorts. I had by now had more than enough of relaxation and set about sorting the laundry glad to have something to do. I must report that doing nothing is both tedious and tiring and that I don't find it in the least relaxing, specially when I can see the work piling up all around me. I suspect that I am incorrigible and I do not intend to repeat this experiment.

I would much rather work in the garden or bake a cake, to me that is relaxing, each to his own and all that. So the next time somebody tells me to relax they may well get a mouth full of course abuse,and in any case at my age if you don't keep going you seize up like an old engine.

There will not be much relaxation next week as my son starts his first foray in to decorating on Tuesday, I suspect that we shall all need a rest after that. I made omelettes for dinner,again with a salad and very nice they were with a pint of beer.

I now intend to lock myself in the bathroom and have a nice long relaxing soak, what's the betting that someone needs the loo!

No comments:

Post a Comment