Tuesday 24 July 2012

CHERRY CAKE..BAKING AS A DISPLACEMENT ACTIVITY.





Wild to return to the garden you may imagine my chagrin when I awoke this morning to discover that my hip was so painful that walking was tricky enough to make gardening out of the question. Sundays exertions are I fear still having an effect on my mobility.


My son returned from work late poor boy, we shared some toast and coffee before he took a shower and went off to bed. Last week he finally bit the bullet and allowed me to cut of his beard and pony tail and gave me a cart blanch to style it as I thought best. I am glad to know that he had no idea how scared I was,trying as I did not to show that my hands were shaking. I made a most unlikely Delilah!

We had purchased a set of electric clippers ,something quite new to me, there was nothing for it but to brazen it out,I took hold of the pony tail and with my scissors chopped it off at a stroke! Now it was irrevocable I felt a little better. With his hair at shoulder length he look like the young Oscar Wilde and for a moment I toyed with the idea of leaving it at that. No, I decided to go for broke and pressed on hacking and slashing like a jungle explorer until at last something resembling a style appeared. Quickly I tidied the new short cut with the electric trimmer and thank the Gods it looked rather good.

Next came the beard,long and covering all of his visage south of the nose under which a moustache had been disporting itself for some years. As I cut a face appeared which I had not seen for fifteen years,the face of my young son as he looked on his first day at college,it was a long time before I managed to stop crying

Once recovered I gave Pa a hair cut, quite short but a young style which suits him I think.

Now here is the rub,I cut most of the family hair both male and female so the whole family look neat and smart...except me. I still have waist length hair which is causing trouble an no one to cut if for me!

Back to today not feeling exact;y full of frolic I decided to bake and cherry cake seemed just right for today

CHERRY CAKE

4 oz butter

6 oz caster sugar

6oz self raising flour

4 tablespoons of milk

2 eggs

4 oz glacé' cherries

Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin and set oven to 350 oC.

Beat the butter and sugar together then add the eggs one at a time and beat for 1 minute.

Add the milk and the flour with the cherries and mix thoroughly.

Pour the mixture in to the tin and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin. This cake slices neatly and keeps well just as long as you hide the cake tin!
N.B. I once used fresh cherries in this recipe and it was very good served as a pudding with single cream. Remember to remove the stones

No comments:

Post a Comment