Sunday 15 July 2012

THE FATE OF THE CHURCH FETE'







Watching the weather this year has been dull to say the least,so many events have been rained off including our own fund raiser that it does not seem sensible to look forward to these occasions,but a miracle happened and the rain held off for the whole afternoon.
This is a record in this area and all concerned were reeling from the shock of a sunny afternoon, in spite of this it was a huge success..Lots of lovely stalls to browse through packed with sweet cuddly toys,pretty vases and baskets and would you believe a beautiful old screen for just a fiver which of course I could not resist.

Cakes,jams ,pickles and home made sweeties,books ,pictures and scented soaps all for bargain prices. Pa and I brought loads from our favourite stalls and them purchased some ground coffee,chocolate and coca powder from the fair trade stall after which we felt that we deserved a beer.
One small detail did mar the occasion and that was a very noisy and extremely amateur jazz band ,who like most amateurs attempted to compensate for their lack of skill by turning up the volume to a level which cause physical pain to anyone within half a mile.

Unfortunately for my poor son the churchyard is but a few feet from his bedroom window and as the band began to play at one he got less than half his normal sleep and came down stairs for dinner looking very seedy indeed!

Shortly before we ate a knock at the door proved to be one of the church wardens who had come to deliver a beautiful Shwarofsky crystal, a very large one in a box,I had a winning raffle ticket. I was so pleased to have won such a lovely thing and I have put it in the widow where it will catch the light and shower the room with rainbow sparkles.

Dinner tonight was a pasta dish and the sauce was made with tomatoes and home grown courgettes,pasta spirals and lots of fresh mozzarella cheese finished the dish which is one of our seasonal specials and a great favourite with my son.


Something very special happened this evening. I managed to catch on a photograph a large family of herons roosting in a dead tree in the shelter belt,I hope it turned out I have not yet had time to check,

Throughout the day people have been commenting on how tired I look,even Pa said I looked exhausted this evening. OK so I don't look too good but I am sure that hearing how ill I look from all my acquaintance has not helped a bit!

I think that perhaps I might take these less than subtle hints and have an early night, and perhaps a lie in tomorrow........but first a shower. Night night.x

No comments:

Post a Comment