Saturday 14 July 2012

OFF TO A PARTY






Today I attended the seventieth birthday party of a close friend and I had a lovely time.


To begin with it was wonderful to be asked,since becoming disabled I find that such invitations are rare. I expect people feel awkward about asking which is understandable.
I managed to dodge the showers so for once I did not arrive looking like a drowned rat. There was lots of lovely food and some very good beer and a small very pretty like dog took an instant liking to me and sat on my knee the whole time I was there.
Every one was kind and attentive and my friend looked wonderful in a new dress made of a soft floaty fabric in sort shades of green. We have been good friends for ages and I would trust her with my life,we rely upon each other and stick together through thick and thin it is the kind of friendship that is rare and special. It was lovely to see her at the centre of her family and with those who love her best,she deserves the best for all of us and today we had the chance to show her how we all feel. There was a great deal of love in that room and it was grand to be a part of things.
Before I left for the party I foolishly decide to assemble a boot cupboard for the hall,there did not seem to be too many parts and although the instructions were vague I thought I should manage....................needless to say that an hour later in a state of dishevelment and in a foul temper I cast the box,the instructions(such as they were) and the parts of which it turned out there were a great multitude into a cupboard slammed the door and went off to dress for the party.
On my return and with the benefit of a couple of pints of very good bitter beer I managed to put the wretched thing together. This was possible only because I threw away the instructions and used common sense instead. Upon completion it turned out that the blasted thing was too large for the space in the hall........history shall not record my remarks at this discovery!
Fortunately the church fête is tomorrow and I am certain that one of the bric a brac stalls will take it off my hands. Our conservation group has a stall at the fête this year so of course it will receive our full support in the shape of some interesting donations. I do love this small village fête and look forward to it very much it is such fun and it is a chance to catch up with old friends. I love rummaging among the junk stalls and often find a treasure or two or a good book,it is one of the highlights of the years in our village
How it has rained this summer,we have been lucky so far in that we have not been flooded,this close to the river it is always a risk. I feel sorry for all the garden centres who filled their premises with water butts as the hose pipe ban came into force. It began to rain that day and has not stopped since. Water butts are as cheap as chips here abouts as are hose pipes and watering cans,

last nigh was so chilly I resorted to an extra blanket on the bed.......July.......heaven help us and roll on August!

No comments:

Post a Comment