Saturday 21 July 2012

SATURDAY NIGHT FERVOUR





Years ago in my misspent youth and believe me it was Saturday night was the big occasion,the one you saved your best dress for. Most of my friends spent hours doing their hair,each others hair, make up,the works. Suitably attired and you hoped irresistible you made your way to the venue of your choice.


Seriously rural areas such as my village boasted no attractions for those bent upon merriment and so we would head for the nearest village pub some three miles away. If you were fortunate and your boy friend owned a car,or have borrowed his fathers transport you would arrive at this salubrious venue without a hair our of place. Those not so fortunate would pray for a dry evening with no wind, it was surprising how often it rained.

On your arrival if unaccompanied by the much sought after boy friend you would hang around with the girls giggling in corners and trying to look aloof and encouraging at the same time. If it had been raining your first hour would be spent in the ladies loo repairing the damage which in the days of pan cake make up and before run proof mascara could be considerable......not to mention the hair!

I was of an independent nature and was not inclined to waste my time prinking and preening in order to attract one of the spotty farmers sons who frequented the pub,it was only the fact that there were far more girls than boys which made them seem attractive at all.

I preferred to put on a pair of old jeans and a t shirt to go drinking, then if it rained I did not have to worry about my clothes, my hair ,waist length defied any attempts at an up-do ,it had a mind of its own and curled wildly in damp weather so why worry?

I played darts with the boys and snooker,pub skittles and I drank pints which in those days was not the custom for young ladies, I had a great evening every time. Most of the girls who arrived unattended left the same way, I on the other hand always went home with the boys,more often than not in a car too.

Of course I was unpopular with the village girls and they vented their spite by convincing themselves that I was a scarlet woman in the making and perhaps by their standard they were right. I did feel at the time that it was odd that they should think so when it was they after all who spent hours painting their faces,finger and toenails in order to vamp every boy in sight,,but then every one has there own morality after all.

Last Saturday three young girls came tottering down the lane at around midnight,they were,as we would have said paralytic and occasionally one or other fell over and was dragged up by the other two. I have no idea if they enjoyed their Saturday night out but one thing I do know. I am vastly relieved not to have any daughters. Saturday night certainly is not what it was.

As for me ,I had a steady boy friend by the time I was sixteen,married him at nineteen and forty years later we are still together. Until recently I still did Saturday nights, a few drinks,a game of darts or snooker and even karaoke, now of course my health forbids, so hey, if your are going out tonight have one for me.





















No comments:

Post a Comment