Monday 26 November 2012

AVIES HOME MADE CHRISTMAS




THE GREAT BRITISH TRIFLE


How this Mammoth,show stopper of a pudding ever came to be called a “Trifle” is a mystery, this recipe was made in my childhood home for every party or special occasion,there are many variations,this one however has children in mind.

UNCLE JACK'S PARTY TRIFLE

I could tell you to begin with scalded milk,vanilla pods and eggs.......lets leave the faffing about to Nigella and cut to the chase.

1 pint of custard made to the manufacturers directions and left to cool with a little sugar scattered over the top.

1 sponge sandwich cake

raspberry or strawberry jam

4 macaroons crushed

4 fl oz of raspberry sauce or cordial

10 fl oz double cream

2 oz glacé cherries

edible silver balls

angelica (if you can find any)

Spread the jam over the sponge cake,cut up and place in a shallow 2ltr bowl and top with the crushed macaroons. Spoon over the fruit cordial(This takes the place of sherry) and leave to stand for 2 hours.

Stir the cold custard well and pour over the sponge cake and macaroons.

Whip the cream until soft peaks form and top the custard with half of the fresh cream. Pipe the remaining cream around the edges then decorate with the cherries,angelica and silver balls . Keep chilled until ready to serve.

Starting tomorrow I am on my own Christmas countdown,well one of them as I have several,this one is a count down to a very special party,sadly I fear the last of its kind I am determined that it shall be the best ever and I have 20 days to prepare it,beginning with the making of a vegetarian mince meat which tastes every bit as good as the ordinary sort.

My other deadline in Pa's birthday feast which this year we shall have six days early as it will be more convenient than his actual birthday on which my son will be at work.

The next few weeks will pass in a whirl of Pavlova, mini quiches,sausage rolls and lots of other delectable Christmas treats and as they roll off the production line watch out for the pictures some of which go with the recipes in my recent Avies Home Made Christmas blogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment