Monday 11 November 2013

STILL FEELING CROOK !





What a miserable affliction a sore throat is,whenever I swallow(and I try not to) it feels as if a red hot cinder has lodged in my throat,even cold drinks hurt so although I crave a lovely hot cup of tea it is out of the question just now.

Eating is pure torment unless it is either iced cream of cold jelly, the hot steak sandwich my soul craves is a definite no-no! Coming at this time of year this nasty ailment would be trouble but with the extra worry of Pa's operation which could literally be at any time,should there be a cancellation.

Tomorrow Pa is to have an MRI scan,since none of the usual prosthetics is suitable for him a special one will have to be made,we have been told that the bad state of the bone has made this necessary.

I how I want to be in my kitchen doing the Christmas baking...............the spirit is raring to go,the flesh however is not and so I must cool my heels and wait,not a thing I do well!”

One thing which pleases me very much is thanks to the recommendation of a friend we have discovered a butcher,not too far away Chiswick to be precise, who can and will supply us with a whole brisket on the bone,a rare delicacy these days I assure you.

This piece of meat weighs over eight kilos and will have to be cut in to joints, this will,in my absence be supervised by my son. You see modern butchers,particularly those in the South of England have become used, at the insistence of their customers ,to removing all the fat from the meat and then boning it out. Rolled into neat joints it is fit only for pot roasting and while this will provide a good meal it does not have the amazing flavour of old English roast beef that it has if left unmolested.

The fat,or dripping at it is called is wonderful for frying and for roasting potatoes it knows no peer,duck and goose fat is just a cheffy craze,as I said,just try getting your hands on decent beef fat these days!

The identical moment that I am released from the grip of this pestiferous plague I shall roast a large piece of this beef,very,very slowly and then I shall make for myself a hot beef sandwich,lightly salted.....................wonderful. This cut of meat is,if cooked with respect the tastiest cut you can buy,and think of this I recently purchased a 1 kilo joint of fore rib of beef for Pa' birthday dinner at a cost of £42.00, my 8 kilo joint will cost around £60.00 and will taste so much better.

Now there's a reason to be cheerful.



No comments:

Post a Comment