Tuesday 28 February 2012

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS FOR BREAKFAST




Morning found us all rather more yawny than usual and as we were expecting our fortnightly grocery delivery I needed to prepare a quick breakfast, I also wanted the treat the boys to something special so this is what I chose to do.

BLUE BERRY MUFFINS

8oz plain flour
1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder
half a pint of milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons of melted butter
2 oz caster sugar or a little more if the berries look a little under ripe.


Grease a twelve cup muffin tin and line with muffin cases. Set the oven to 200oC
Put all the dry ingredients except the berries in to a bowl, put the milk egg and melted butter in to a jug and pour gradually in to the bowl as you mix. When the mixture is smooth add the blue berries and either stir in or use the pulse on a mixer. Divide the mixture between the twelve cases and bake for twenty minutes.
We always eat these little beauties while they are hot , split and buttered but they are just as good eaten cold and are a nice addition to a lunch box or a picnic.

Breakfast was punctuated by the arrival of several parcels some of which were I suspect for me judging by the furtive behaviour of the boys, I shall have to wait a while to find out what they are. Groceries, mostly dry goods arrived on time and were deal with after which still feeling groggy we all had some strong coffee....well it was worth a try!

Later in the quiet of my room I wrapped up mothers days gifts for my own dear Mam, A lovely out door clock for her pretty garden and a very pretty night gown for her to float about in, she does so love pretty things bless her.
Tomorrow my son will take it to the post office after his visit to the doctor, poor boy he is not at all well but puts on a very brave face.

Feeling a change in the air and also owing to a spill of coffee on the bed I decided to put on a different patchwork quilt. Patch work and lace and ribbon work flowers make this one perfect for early spring and as the colours are warm tones one a cream ground it still looks warm and cosy, it was given to me by Pa for Mothers day last year and I love it.

How still the air was today, not a breath of wind and although not truly warm the lack of a cold breeze made it feel so. I ventured in to the garden for half an hour,planning, as best I can where and what things will grow this season. Honey bees and a few early wasps were drinking at the fountain, it no longer has a spray but the birds and insects love it and so that is good enough for me.

Birds are foraging for nest material and all around are the sounds of their courtship and their quarrels. Able because of the fine weather to work with the kitchen door open meant that I was privy to all this up-rush of life as I prepared our dinner of roast beef, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings mushy peas and vegetable gravy. From time to time our tame robin would hop on tot the step to see if any tasty morsels had been dropped near by, and a female squirrel, heavily pregnant added to her considerable bulk by stuffing herself with peanuts for a full half hour!

Now the evening is here and we are all very tired, speaking for myself I have been sleepy all day and I hope very much that tonight I get some proper sleep. Both Pa and my son agreed that they have felt the same so an early night will do us all good, not to mention a long hot candle light bath. Good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment