Wednesday 8 February 2012

REFUGEES




Drab and grey as the morning was I was resigned to a day of ironing and semi darkness. Bread was baked early and I was about to make some pancake batter when the whole tenner of the day changed to one of excitement and interest. I believe I mentioned recently the welcome return of thrushes to the garden after a few years absence and at first I thought that it was a thrush I could see amongst the ivy stuffing its face with the abundant black fruits.

Realising that suddenly there were many such birds I looked again and realised that we had a flock of red wings in the garden. Close to the windows as they were it was wonderful to see these winter visitors , only once before have I seen them in London although in the north we played host to huge flocks almost every year.

Freezing conditions in Eastern Europe have driven the to find food in our slightly warmer country and if we are lucky they will soon be followed by field fares which are similar in size.
Both the redoing and the Field fare resemble Thrushes, the Red wing as its name suggests has a rich red under wing and the Field fare is more of a greyish colour than our native thrush varieties though all have spots on their breasts.

Our recently returned thrushes have mixed in with the new comers but the blackbirds are less than happy with the arrival of their ravenous cousins and no sooner does the flock settle down to graze the male blackbird screams his alarm call and the entire flock vanish in an instant.

Parakeets seen to dislike them even more and there is a battle royal in the garden as each faction attempts to claim the territory as its own. Not that the parakeets care about ivy berries, they just do not seem to like the Red wings, perhaps it is large number of these birds which causes the objection.

Hours of my day have been spent in am attempt to photograph these goings on , all I have to show for my efforts are a large number of blurry pictures. Whenever I managed to frame a good shot something occurred to frighten them and off they went. Finally I gave up hope when a pair of foxes, attracted I think be the kerfuffle appeared on the out house roof where the ivy is thickest, the ironing awaited and I could avoid its hectoring call no longer!

Cold damp weather always has an adverse effect upon the rheumatism which has affected my shoulders since I was fifteen and coupled as it is now with arthritis jobs like ironing can be very painful. Bread making becomes difficult as do any tasks involving reaching of stretching,
the ironing basket was full of shirts and some of the recent hints dropped by the boys have been heavy enough to crack the kitchen floor tile, so I bit the bullet, set up the ironing table and got on with it.

Satisfied that I had ironed enough to keep the boys decently clothed for a day or two packed up the ironing paraphernalia and began the prep for dinner. Cumberland sausages, with mashed potato, baby chantonay carrots,garden peas,home made onion sauce and apple gravy. How glad I am that the craze for toad n the hole has finally ended. If I see another for a year it will be too soon!

During the late afternoon Pa went out for an hour . My son was asleep as he must work tonight and I sat at my desk writing s the meagre daylight began to fade and a delight flu silence fell upon the house. Nothing but the ticking of my old clock broke the sweetness of that quiet hour. Stillness is rare and I treasure the little I have,it gives me time to think and to unwind. Now and then small sounds, a bird singing, the creak of a roof beam or the tapping of a branch against the window added to the lulling effect of this magical hour,it was over far too soon.

Back in the light and bustle of the kitchen however I thanked my lucky stars for my noisy lads with their radios, computers and television noise, we toasted each other in sarsaparilla a family truly happy just to be together,I am so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment