Sunday 5 February 2012

THRUSHES IN THE SNOW


Seconds after posting last nights blog I lookedout in to the lane to see that snow had begun to fall and was swirling wildly around the street light at the bottom of the garden. Throughout the evening I watched the snow become deeper and deeper and my excitement mounted,it was not only snowing it was sticking too.

During the night the child inside me woke every hour or so to peep through the curtains to see if the snow was still falling.....it was. Eventually the adult with the chilly feet decided to leave the curtains open a little so as to be able to see from the warmth of my bed if it still snowed; this proved satisfactory and I actually fell asleep properly at around five in the morning.

Snow covered the trees when I awoke and the lanes were full of snow, the few intrepid souls out in their motor cars sported deep hats of snow on their roofs as they slid sideways down the slippery lane. Around the garden the myriad tracks of foxes showed how busy they had been in spite of the snow and on the fence a blackbird sat, his feathers fluffed out and his wings a droop and his whole body expressing a marked distaste for the chilly white stuff which covered his feet!

Some years ago we had a nesting pair of song thrushes in the church yard and Mistle thrushes in the orchard, these lovely birds disappeared when the local authority stripped the church yard wall of ivy and strimmed out the undergrowth, a sad loss. Imagine them my joy when looking out of the bathroom window I observed beautiful song thrush in the ivy which covers our out buildings feasting on the bountiful supply of berries. Less than and hour later a mistle thush appeared in the front garden stuffing himself with pyracantha berries, this really did make my day.

There followed a crescendo of and telephone bells as one by one the Sunday gamers rang to say they could not make it due to the snow and then more still when a hard core of stalwarts decided to come and play board games at our house as the pub game was off. I went from the prospect of a lovely lazy morning toe one of rushing breakfast to prepare for guests in less time than it took to drink a cup of coffee.

Pleased for my son as these weekend games are a break from the stress of work we changed breakfast from bacon rolls to buttered crumpets in order to speed things up.
I quite enjoyed having the gang gaming in the kitchen again, they are friends of long standing and are always welcome at any time as indeed are any of my sons friends.

Listening to yesterdays weather forecast I had in inkling that this might happen and arranged a very easy dinner with not advanced preparation and since I had baked the cookies yesterday I was able to give the lads the undisturbed us of the kitchen which venue many of them prefer to the pub.

Pa settled down for a quite afternoon with his railway books and I took advantage of having no cooking to do to have a rest and then later I did a little necessary ironing.
Last night the washing machine began to make dreadful noises, we all heard from out various rooms and assembled to view witness the death of this old work horse! Judging by the squealing and screeching I would hazard a guess that the bearings had gone, in any case the repair man will have to be called tomorrow.

In the mean time no more washing means no more ironing for a while, I toss my hat in the air , metaphorically speaking and jump for joy. It is at such time that I am glad that we rent our washing machine. After years of owning one and paying huge repair bill the ,moment the damn thing was out of warranty we decided to rent and it is wonderful. Out comes the mechanic, complete with parts and if the machine is a right off a new one is delivered in not time and with no charge, such a relief in these cash strapped times.

Exciting as the snow has been I was unable to venture out today as I have been plagued by a bout of dizziness which makes even using the buggy difficult, even so the pleasure of watching the lovely stuff falling last night and to see the thrushes this morning has made the perfect end to a wonderful week at home. Tomorrow can take care of its self.x

No comments:

Post a Comment