Monday 24 December 2012

CHRISTMAS EVE AT AVIES






I believe I have already mentioned the fact that we always eat our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve,this is a tradition of long standing and it means that I am free to enjoy myself on Christmas Day instead of being confined to the kitchen for the greater part of the day.


It began when my son was born,not I wanted to spend all of Christmas Day with him, it worked so well that we have continued ever since.
We all wanted different things for breakfast,Pa had toast and honey, my son,cheese on toast and for myself two lovely poached eggs,also with toast and while we ate we planned the day.

First the turkey, a free range bronze bird which I ordered way back in October from our butcher in Grimsby, I believe that white turkeys do not need to be ordered so far in advance, the really handy thing is that as a regular customer I shall not be invoiced for our Christmas meats until the New Year. Incidentally the price was the same as last year which is a bonus too.



Having barded the bird with dry cured streaky bacon and stuffed the neck cavity with cranberry,dried apple and chestnut stuffing I put it in to the oven and prepared the vegetables which this year were whole young carrots,sugar snap peas Brussels sprouts and roasties. Aside dish of sage and onion stuffing,apple sauce and gravy completed the meal,which we all enjoyed greatly.

The cats of course partook of the turkey also and purred away like anything while they tucked in.

We finished our meal with iced cream as we felt that Christmas pudding would be too much,perhaps we shall have some tomorrow. We all seem to be very tired of late .I expect it is caused by an enforced stay I doors due to the bad weather, not one of us as any interest in getting soaked while attempting to get a little exercise so we shall,I expect remain yawny for a while yet.



As we were finishing our meal with a glass of whisky a friend of my son arrived bearing the most amazing plate of mince meat muffins beautifully decorated with tiny red ribbon and a holly leaf on each,he is a wonderful cook and Pa and I have always been fond of him.

And now I think I shall take a hot shower,fill my glamorous hottie and have and early night.

No cooking for me tomorrow....hip-hip-hoohrah!!!!

I hope all your Christmas plans turn out wonderfully. Merry Christmas to everyone, everywhere in the world. Hugs for all from Avie...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment