Saturday 9 October 2010

THE BEST LAID PLANS


I had a lovely cup of tea in bed this morning brought by my son, I was in a hurry to get up as I had quite a lot planned for today. Pa, of course refused to budge, I have noted that this often occurs when I happen to be very busy, perhaps it just seems like that. I need not have worried as the day turned out to be nothing like the day I had planned. Firstly the man who was to bring the long ladder failed to appear so we could not tackle the vines as we had intended. We did however have a lovely breakfast of grilled kippers and of course our neighbour was invited to share the feast. The day was far from the warm sunny glory rashly promised by the weather forecast,why do I always fall for it? Even if the day had been perfect their was no way I could have done much gardening as by this morning my foot was badly swollen and my knee very painful.

Having done all the baking yesterday to leave today free for gardening I found myself for once at a loose end, and decided to go to the garden centre for a leisurely look around, that is until Pa dropped the bombshell that he needed the buggy. Another sudden change of plan, after all I could always go later. It took Pa so long to get ready that I could almost have gone and come back again, hey ho. Off he finally went and I went upstairs to turn up some trousers,next to ironing this is the job I hate most. Incidentally to any unmarried women I say, marry a tall man or you will be forever turning up trousers for a short one!
Two hours and a great deal of research in to the laws on wild life and conservation Pa had still not returned.............typical of course. I called him............he had decided to have a look around the garden centre..****!!!....****!
At last the wanderer returned and I was free, except for the fact that it was now almost time to begin preparing dinner, so I contented myself with a quick spin and then returned to the fray.

Dinner was fish pie and the white sauce is a little complicated as it involves seething lemon grass,pepper corns fennel and spring onion in milk and standing till cool, then I poached the cod and whiting fillets in the strained liquid while the triangles of pastry cooked in the oven (shop bought in this case). Then the flaked fish was returned to the sauce,a bag of cooked prawns and more herbs added along with a table spoon of fish sauce . I usually serve the pastry separately for this dish as it is much crisper this way. Garden peas were the only vegetable, we were all hungry and not much was left.
I have no plans at all for tomorrow and I think it is better that way.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing,for he shall not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment