Monday 18 October 2010

Fun with flashing lights


Pa had an early appointment with the Doctor this morning, the electricians were booked to arrive at ten and my son needed to sleep late,so what could go wrong? Surprisingly little as it turned out. Although I had the usual trouble getting Rip van Winkle to wake up, so that he was late for his appointment the Doctor was also running late so that was all right. The electricians were also rather late which meant that I was able to bake the bread and also make some leek and potato soup before they arrive at eleven, by which time my son was awake so all was well. Praise the Gods, a miracle!
The new cooker hood fan was fitted,and the new silent,bathroom extractor fan in record time and all seemed to be going well. Pa was still out so I made a late breakfast for my son and I, cheese toasties for him and poached eggs on toast for me. We sat munching happily and cracking jokes and congratulating ourselves on how well things were going when all at once there was a sudden dimming of the lights,we looked at each other, no we had not imagined it. We continued with breakfast as the lights on the new cooker hood began to flicker rapidly for a minute before finally going out. We looked at each other and roared with laughter. When we had stopped spluttering I called the electrician and told him the news, he said that he would come back to have a look at the problem. No sooner had I hung up than the lights came back of again setting us laughing even more uproariously than before. After that it was like the old joke about the car indicators,on off on off on off, you could,nt make it up! The electrician arrived and replaced a light bulb to see if that would help and said he would call back if we had any further trouble..............so far all is well and I hope it stays that way.
Pa was still absent having been sent to the back of the queue as a result of his tardiness and the fact that the receptionist had forgotten to book him in with the practice nurse after seeing the doctor, to change his dressing. She had been inclined to snootiness until her own mistake became apparent, that corked her up thankfully. I had just cleared breakfast when Pa arrived home and as the poor love had not eaten before leaving I set about making breakfast........again, cheese toasties and a pot of tea. He was really hungry and I was glad to see him polish off the whole plate full.
Then Hey-ho and off to exchange the enormous dressing gown I was foolish enough to buy for something smaller, something less like a small marquee. Mission accomplished I hurried home, cleared the second breakfast dishes and cleaned up the mess the electricians had made, not much at all really.
There was just time to have a coffee before starting to lay the table for our evening meal, Leek and potato soup with fresh crusty bread and a steamed jam sponge with custard, just right for a chilly night.
While I was out I bought myself a rather fetching, I thought , red woollen hat with a pom-pom on the top and silver threads woven into the wool, I thought it looked nice, however the scales were removed from my eyes by the merriment it caused when Pa and my son saw it, I may send it to Oxfam as I do not think I shall ever have the nerve to wear it again after that.
What was it Robert Burns said about seeing ourselves as others see us.

No comments:

Post a Comment