Friday 12 August 2011

ALLIA IACTA EST



If my son had any lingering doubts that he was right in planning his departure are rapidly being erased with every passing day. Had he taken my advice he would have moved on a couple of years ago, he is however a man who makes his own decisions, and quite right too.
I am happy to see him a little more relaxed, he has a three week holiday soon and is off to Avebury for a spiritual recharge and we are planning a few things for the days when he is at home.
He has learned at last that nothing and nobody is worth the kind of stress he has been under for so long and for all the good it has done him he might as well not have bothered.

My luck ran out today and my attempt to bake some shortbread in my refractory oven was a dismal failure , they are just about edible , only just. We had a guest for breakfast today and that cheered things up a little. His daughter is getting married tomorrow and he is a fugitive from all the female bustle that such events engender. Poor soul, things must be pretty tough. Pa and I are going to the wedding ceremony and are looking forward to it very much, we declined party afterwards though, Pa will have had enough excitement and for that matter so will I.
Our hedgehog is fine and still stuffing his dear little face with every tasty morsel he is given, the cat is still sulking and when she sulks she really really sulks, I am left in no doubt at all that I an in the dog house, ho hum!

Although we are eating the courgettes as fast as we can they blessed things are now producing about five good sized specimens a day and we shall soon be at saturation point,. Today I disguised them with a rich tomato pasta sauce and lots of cheese, God only knows what I shall do with tomorrows clutch!

Bottling the fruit jelly was hard work today as without being able to tell the oven temperature I almost shattered the jars again I am getting quite nervous about it but this is high season for jam and jelly making so I shall have to trust to providence and hope for the best. Aim told that the new knobs will arrive with the electrician on Tuesday, I shall believe it on the day it happens and not a moment before. I never seem to be amazed at the inefficiency I see all around me, I does not seem to pay to do a good job any more, in my day the Burk responsible for this fiasco would have been sacked ages ago, no doubt he has friends in high places. Why work hard if you can get away with doing nothing and why do a good job if a bad job pays the same wages, I suppose I can not really blame the man when I look at it that way and yet it is not only myself that he is ripping off, his boss is the real fool for letting him get away with it after all he is the silly bugger who is paying the bill, not me.

This has been a time of burning bridges and taking tough decisions for all of us at the cottage and a time of fighting battles, we are strong because we stand together and we would fight each others corner to the bitter end Not Lords nor ladies, Maintenance managers, estate managers or any other perfidious persons prone to pompous posturing , pheeew, cut any ice with us. That is absolute.

Tonight I am being naughty and have squirrelled away a treat of two, I have been having a hard time lately and I feel the need for a treat. A box of chocs, a double gin and a favourite film to watch,lovely, and woe betide anyone who disturbs my solitary revel.





No comments:

Post a Comment