Tuesday 23 August 2011

LOOKING FORWARD

LOOKING FORWARD



I cannot begin to tell you just how much we are looking forward to my sons three week holiday which begins next week. The first week will be spent at home together and I have planned some fun and a great feast which will if the weather is kind be accompanied by fireworks.
Ave bury is my son's destination on the second week , it I a place we both love, a place to relax, a place which dreams of the past but which holds the key to the future...for those who know where to look.

I am glad that my sons holiday comes at this time, he needs to step back from the present and take stock of what is important to him now and he needs to plan his future,he could not have chosen a better place to do this and I hope that he will return with his way clear and his mind and body soothed. He is strong and he is young he is the master of his future and he is nobodies fool, there is in him a hidden steel which gives him courage yet he keeps his compassion and understanding of others needs.
He is my son, my pride in him is without bounds, my love for him is measurable . He has overcome so much to become the man he is today, another source of pride to me, but if there is one thing I value most in my son it is his integrity,that is beyond price.

Today's rain meant a day indoors and as I had lots of indoor things to do this was perhaps as well. Breakfast needed to be quick as Pa had yet another hospital appointment and so as the bread was nice and fresh I boiled some eggs and cut lots of well buttered soldiers, this with a pot of stronge tea some orange juice was exactly what we needed to start the day.
Having packed Pa off I put the pan of apple and rose hip juice on the boil, popped the jars in the oven to sterilise and before long I had a dozen bottles of blush pink jelly setting nicely on the work top.

Next I prepared the bechamell sauce and the meat sauce for tonight’s lasagne and then I decided that the banners for the fĂȘte needed to be my next project. The banner did not take as long as I had imagined and having completed one (I need a second) I decided to try my hand at a new kind of preserve.

Last week I bottled the orange rum and the lemon vodka and the fruit used to make this was sitting in the refrigerator. I chopped up the boozy fruit and added four pounds of apples, some cardamom and some cloves and this concoction I boiled to a pulp and set it to strain overnight. Tomorrow sugar will be added to the juice and I hope that the result will be a spicy apple marmalade, a treat for Christmas and raffle prizes for the fĂȘte.

If I had any doubt that Autumn has arrived today put them out of my mind. Towards four in the afternoon I drove out to get some fresh air, it was still raining but I enjoyed the cool breeze. My camera was in my pocket and I took some very Autumnal photographs until the rain became worse and then I headed for home . Up in my room I discovered that the cat Twiggy had also decided that Autumn was here. She had made a comfy roost at the top of Mt bed snuggled down amongst the cushions and pillow shams, sensible little girl, note to self, be sure and brush the bed down before retiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment