Friday 19 August 2011

THE DAY WHEN EVERYTHING HAPPENED




It really began last night when I notices that the R key on my net book was sticking,this was the last thing I needed and I was quite worried until my son told my that I could borrow his until mine was fixed. So at the crack of dawn this morning I got up,did a load of chores and at a reasonable hour departed complete with net book to he repair man found for y by my son last night. Had I known how long it was going to take me to find the residence of this person I should have taken with me pack rations, I did have a map printed out for me but the print was small and in the rush I neglected to put my glasses in my bag,typical!

Having lived in this area for some years I can say nothing to excuse myself for getting so hopelessly lost except that for a country girl on street a
of houses looks much like another and I am not in the habit of cruising the streets for the fun of it. Finally I bethought myself to ring the gentleman and he very kindly came to meet me , my relief my relief knew no bounds. He agreed to have a look at my baby and let me know the cost of repairing her.
One out fit quoted fifty-two pounds to have a look,eighty pounds for a new keyboard and sixty pound to fit the blessed thing, all this without having even seen it. Since the total cost of this would be considerably more that I paid for it when it was new ans since buying a new one would be cheaper I politely declined.

On my return the electrician
, who had promised to be with us a t ten thirty had not yet arrived and so we decided to have breakfast, my neighbour who wanted t see the fun joined us and just as we were about to bite into our first crumpet the electrician turned up with his mate , the new cooker and another chap, a friend of ours arrived also to watch the fun, thank the Gods I have a large table and a decent sized kitchen. The new cooker chosen by my son is a vast improvement of the shoddy item fitted by the estate just six months ago. It has a huge oven, a great advantage to someone who bakes in such quantity as I. It also has a full sized grill,again a huge improvement as the other had a grill so small that only two pieces of toast could be cooked at once.

I baked a pie for dinner, chicken and bacon topped with puff [pastry and served with sweet potatoes, I like my new oven. Tomorrow I shall put it through its paces as I need to bake bread and lots of cookies, I am ashamed to say that my sons friends at work had to make do with b ought ones last weekend. I also need to bake several cakes so that by this time tomorrow the oven and I should be well acquainted.

Major hoovering and steaming work needed to be done today and this was done by my son and I, he hoovered while I went to the shops and on my return I steamed all the floors and carpets, a fortnightly task which keeps the dust and mites at bay thereby easing my sons asthma and my own allergies at the same time. I was looking forward to a quiet evening after all the exertions of the day when my friend called to say that she wanted to do a preliminary bat walk in the park and as Se had been let down by our chairman, who is often incommunicado would I please join her.

Now I must tell you the[at during the past week I have had two rather nasty falls and have some serious bruising to the derrière. I have spent much time sitting on the buggy today and the idea of spending several hours this evening bouncing around the fields and lanes did not appeal,. Add to that the fact that I have been more than usually busy for the past few weeks and have spent today running around like the proverbial blue tailed fly you can easily see why I felt it best not to go, and yet how I wanted to, I adore being out after dark and I love bats and bugs,so although I thankfully delegated to walk to Pa and my son I did grieve a little that For sheer tiredness I was missing the fun again.
\The computer I am writing on tonight is my sons traveling one, a net book similar to my own and the machine upon which he wrote the learned journal to be e published next week and in hard copy in a month or two. The research for this book is the work of several years but the first draft of the book was written while he was on holiday in Castleton Derbyshire earlier this year. The third proof reading is finished at last and am very excited about it .

Although the book is about space flight at is a darned good read, it sets out to explain what went wrong with the dream and why after so long so little progress has been made. Of course I would say that it is a fine piece of work but it is not my opinion alone. My son has been publishing magazines on line for some years with success but he heart is really in the stars.
Future projects induce a series of science fiction books a genre in which he excels .He has promised me a signed copy when it is published, I am so proud of my clever boy,and it is good to see him happy again and even better to see him thinking of himself for a change.

The boys will be leaving soon and the hose will be quiet, as things are I am seldom alone, the truth is that no matter how much I love the people around me time alone is precious. Time for thoughts which are just my own, things that I keep inside myself, time for remembering and perhaps time to think sad thoughts without causing pain to others. All my memories are not happy ones, I suspect all of you could say the same, but they cannot and should not be denied their place , they are a part of us , they helped to make us what we are and painful though they may sometime be there are many that I could not bear to lose. Often it is not the memories that are sad, it is the fact that the people who made them with me are gone and I miss them more than I can say.


No comments:

Post a Comment