Wednesday 31 August 2011

DRAUGHTS AND DAFT MISTAKES


div class="separator" style="clear: both; text-align: center;">



I may have mentioned in passing during last winter the appalling draughts which rage through the house in cold and windy weather,.It is a condition from which mist old hoses suffer and I have in my time lived in some very draughty properties, this one however takes the taco.

We have tried many time to stem the whistling winds which whip around uncovered ankles on cold mornings but to no avail....so.....While I was pinning back the estate managers ears about the problems with the cooker I mentioned the problem and he promised to sort it out.
Today a carpenter arrived to fix the problem and how we all cheered.

The doors themselves are warped with extreme age and have so far defied all attempts at repair however the artisan, for such he is, who came today knew exactly what to do and soon the front door was sorted out, including the weird letterbox which is for some reason almost large enough for a burglar to climb through. Tomorrow he returns to mend the back door, the difference that this improvement will make to the fuel bill alone is well worth the trouble and to no longer have icy blasts blowing about ones legs and feet will be wonderful. We are also getting a new lock for the back door, one which actually works! Now that progress!

Breakfast this morning , cooked by my son was hot buttered crumpet and croissant with strawberry jam. Pa had a hospital appointment for an M.R.I scan at ten thirty and I had been expecting a major battle to get him out on time, but no such thing. Pa was up before any of us, and dressed which meant the=at we could have breakfast together and he left the house in plenty of time so as not to be late. The difference which this makes to my day is enormous and to my blood pressure also!

Vacuum cleaners come and go and ours gave up the ghost with a couch and a splutter a few days ago, armed with £38.50 worth of Tesco vouchers my son and I set off to see what we could find. Nothing looked right and we had given up when we fund exactly what we were looking for at the end of the DVD aisle, it was reduced from £120.00 to £79.00 and after using our vouchers we paid only £40. 50. We were of course very pleased and even more so when we tried it out at home later in the day,it is so much better than the cylinder cleaner we had before and the adjustable hight means that my son will not have y=to bend almost double when it is his turn to use it.

Eleven jars of elderberry and apple jam were the result of yesterdays fruit picking , I added sugar to the strained juice and boiled it until it was ready to set then poured it into the warm jars waiting on the table. Warm and wonderful smell wafted through the house and out in to the garden and for a while the kitchen was full of excited little wasps who, smelling the fruit came to try their luck. They did not have to wait long as I always put the left over pulp out in to the garden. Wasps and butterflies love this and it attracts them away from the house so we are all pleased.

Dinner tonight was an old autumn favourite, home made sausages and colchannon served with them and apple gravy and sweet apple sauce/ Fresh apples abound here at this time of year and we use them as often as possible, stored ones never taste quite the same as those fresh from the tree.

Damn bank holidays! I woke this morning to the sound of the recycle boys smashing and clattering in the lane and since Tuesday is their usual day I have spent the entire day believing that it was indeed Tuesday and this has left me with some explaining to do. You see a couple of weeks ago I met a friend while out shopping and rashly invited her round .. today. We were out when she arrived and the chap who was repairing the door informed them that we had gone shopping. While we were unloading the shopping on or return he told us that we had received callers and at once I realised my mistake...I was mortified as I had that kind of rudeness but as Pa says “What's done is done.” A remark so profound that I could find no argument . I still feel bad though.

Tonight is fright not and we are going to watch “Them”, a movie about giants man eating ants,it is quiet a decent film and not too scary, it is the giant man eating spiders which give me the screaming heebee-jeebee's!

Now I am off to have a bath,goodnight all.

No comments:

Post a Comment