Thursday 1 September 2011

TWAS ON THE THURSDAY MORNING THAT THE CARPENTER CAME ROUND




It crossed my mind today that I am still waiting for the holidays to begin, so far due to unforeseen circumstances I seem to have been busier than ever since Monday. Today saw the removal of the back door and the draught proofing thereof which took all day and tomorrow I am promised that a start will be made upon the windows . While I am glad that the work is being done at last and that it is being carried out while my son is not trying to sleep during the day it has to be said that it has made for a very uncomfortable day.

Our meat order arrived and needed to be packed into the freezers pronto, unfortunately the kitchen was full of the carpenter and his tools so it had to wait while I cleared him out. No sooner had he returned than the grocery delivery arrived and again I had to ask him to sit in the garden while we unpacked and put the things away. Incidentally while unpacking the meat my son decided that he preferred beef to guinea fowl for dinner so a quick change of vegetables and accompaniments was required..no problem.

Mayhem was breaking loose with everything happening at once and it was at this point, heaven help me that my mother chose to telephone., and I knew I was in for trouble, she never calls if the news is good,I was right, the news was bad! The card I sent for my brothers birthday had not arrived, his birthday is tomorrow, but the real reason she called was to tell me of a family row between my sister-in-law and her son, who happens to be my favourite nephew. Doing my level best to say noting that could upset my brothers wife I attempted to defend my nephew, it was very tricky...very tricky indeed and I suspect that I failed, still what the hell They live over two hundred miles away so I shan't hear them shouting!

Now that the doors are almost finished it is wonderful not to be able to see half and inch or more of daylight all around the sides and a good inch at the bottom. The chap doing the job is a real crafts man and a perfectionist, we shall be much more cosy this winter thanks to his good offices.

We tucked in to the roast beef with a will as we have not had many roast dinners while the battle of the ovens was going on, how typical of the enemy to try starving us out! I served the beef with Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and mushy peas as it is usually eaten in our neck of the woods, two large jugs of gravy disappeared along with all but four of the two dozen small Yorkshire puddings all the roasties and most of the peas. None of us could face any pudding unsurprisingly.

This afternoon we all went into the garden to play quoits, a game which even Pa can play as an equal, more than equal in fact as he won handsomely, I on the other hand played badly and came last for which I make no excuse. Tomorrow I intend to give the others a sound thrashing if the weather permits........and I manage to improve beyond all recognition!

The cat Twiggy watched us play with interest but took care not to get in the way of the flying quoits, she too feasted on roast beef this evening and is now sitting on my bed washing her whiskers with an air of satisfied snugness which is a joy to behold, I love to see her a happy little cat, she is certainly pleased with life tonight,



No comments:

Post a Comment