Monday 26 September 2011

LOVELY MONDAY MORNING


I do love Monday morning when it is my son's first day of his week off, it has such a feeling of relief that there is no need to creep about the house like mice, no need to hurry,a lazy breakfast in prospect and plans to talk over.

My son did not wake me until nine this morning and I was grateful as I have slept badly of late. The hot coffee he brought to my room was welcome too, I lay in bed deciding on my activities for the day, how lovely it is not to have to bounce out of bed the minute I wake.
Blueberry muffins had been decided on for breakfast and as we do not need any bread until tomorrow I decided not to bake any today.

We did enjoy our meal and were very merry over our muffins and tea, afterwards my son and I washed the dishes and them I popped out to buy some tiny cable ties which I needed for a job in the garden. I have never been a fan cable ties , being made of plastic they are often cut through when their purpose is served and the left on the ground, now I am afraid that I find them a necessity.

Arthritis in my fingers means that tying knots in twine has became both difficult and painful so these tie are a Godsend when I am putting up nets or canes and I always ensure that I do not leave them lying around when I cut them off. Today I needed to make a cage for the broad beans so that the wood pigeons will not graze on them during the winter. I was on my way to the kitchen with some beans when a young fox, one of our tame foxes cubs strolled past me and went straight in to the house. Bold as brass he took stock of the kitchen, the living room and then went upstairs,I called to my son that he was about to have a fix for a visitor, he did not believe me.

All this time I was fuming as my camera was in my bedroom, I followed the fox upstairs where he was now examining the bathroom and being photographed by my son. Quickly I grabbed my camera just as foxy decided to leave, he walked out of the bathroom and passed my son and I with no sign of fear and calmly strolled down the stairs and out through the front door past an astonished Pa who was sitting on the bench. I followed him into the garden and took a few more snaps as he strolled around with a casual air.

Not so casual was the cat Twiggy who threw a terrific hissy fit which foxy completely ignored, she too followed him in to the garden and sat on the picnic tab;le watching him as he usurped her place. As soon as he had gone she made a tour of the garden sniffing and occasionally swearing quietly, it was a long time before she gave up and returned to her normal pursuits.

Life is full of surprises yet this is not the first time a fox has visited our home, they are so very tame now that they come when called and have no fear of us what-so-ever. This little family were living in our garden when we came to live here and every year there have been new cubs to enjoy, they foxes often join me in the garden as eager for grubs and beetles as the small birds, they are good company too as they let you know if a stranger aproaches, they are very territorial. If we lose our garden the foxes will lose there home, it is heartbreaking, our close relationship with the animals and birds with whom we share our home and garden make them family and they have so much trust in us that I feel I shall have betrayed them if I fail to prevent the building from happening.

I heard this morning that hedgehog numbers are dangerously low, we have quite a family of these in our garden too , they overwinter every year under the garden shed where it is warm and dry and full of dead leaves, they too will be homeless if I fail. These days my delight in these creatures is tempered with the dread of what the future holds for them and for us.
Still it is our Monday and was celebrated with a dinner of Cumberland rings with mashed potato sliced runner beans onion sauce and apple gravy...delicious and very seasonal.
An early night is on the cards and as soon as my son has finished his ablutions I too will bath and then, I hope a good nights sleep will follow. It has been a lovely day, perfect really, this is a wonderful place to live, I am so lucky, let us pray that luck will hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment