Sunday 4 September 2011

THE X FACTORY



Firstly I must confess to never having watched more than a few minutes of this “popular” television programme and although many may say that this gives me no right at all to offer up a critique upon The X Factor I beg to differ. Like Big Brother, Strictly Come Dancing and others in the reality T.V. genre are now so widely reported on serious news programmes and in newspapers that it is impossible not to know what is going on. There seems to be an all consuming interest in the doings of the contestants and the panel, which is fed by the never ending interviews with those concerned by journalists who should ,in my humble opinion know better.
Now is the season for these shows to begin vying for the attention of a population who if they are not by now sated with such rubbish certainly should be.

Last night while channel hopping in the vain hope of finding something worth watching on the many free view channels I stopped to listen to a singer who's appearance was as arresting as her performance. She looked like a Goth and a tatty one at that but hand on heartthe last time I heard a performer sing with such passion and with so much soul it was many years ago at a Judy Garland concert. This young woman had in her voice the heart rending quality of Piaf,the integrity of Garland and the soulful sweetness of Mama Cass of whom she had a more than passing resemblance.I was captivated in a moment so that even when I realised what I was watching I still listened and was touched to the core by the raw talent on display.

I could have done without the leaky waterworks of the panel who I am told frequently cry with amazement when one of the contestants ,manages to stay in tune and I really could have done without the gratuitous mopping and mowing being done by someone whom I took to be a fond family member. It was unnecessary and distracting, fatuous and oh so predictable to the point where surely by now it must be obvious to all that the worst kind of manipulation is going on here.

Of course the woman was proud of her daughter but the possibility that the panel might have ripped the girl to shreds in front of an audience of millions, as is their want to do should have tempered her reaction.
I enjoyed the performance immensely and yet I was not so besotted that I did not notice that the young lady's voice needs quite a bit of work here and there if she is to go on to better things, tecnique which can be learned. The panel were fulsome in their praise which would have been fine if we did not know that they frequently say such things and behave in this emotional manner for any one half decent who gets on the show.

How long I wonder will it be before some one slimmer. Prettier and with less than half the talent and integrity displayed last night gets the same WOW response, and I will wager that the winner will be the usual pretty girl or appealing young man, which shows like this seem to churn out like sausages,look what happened to Susan Bourne after the build up she recieved, second place and a nervous breakdown in full view of the public.....great television!

Singers such as I watched last night have a hellish time in the business because of how they look, for every Alison Moyet there are a thousand Cheryl Coles, and here is the case in point.
Cheryl Cole, an undeniably pretty girl but with a very small talent in deed, her singing is at best mediocre and as far as I can judge her only real ability is in keeping her face in front of the worlds cameras by any possible means. To call her, and the many like her stars or worse diva's is to denigrate real performers such as the late wonderful Amy Winehouse, Madonna, Aretha Franklin to name a few, artists of genuine ability and more to the point entertainers of quality.

Having spent some time in the world of show business and a strange place it is believe me I can say with truth that real talent is as rare as hens teeth and is often found in the most unlikely people and even more unlikely places. Pretty girls are ten a penny, especially when they can command hairdressers ,make up artists and fashion designers to do there bidding.

Talent.... OK ….The “X” factor is not something that can be learned or bought or counterfeited it is a tiny spark, a gift, a blessing or a curse to the one in a million who possess it, it can make or it can destroy a persons life................depending on how it is used, developed and managed.

My heart went out to that young lady who's name I do not know, and for the intense enjoyment it gave me to listen to her my grateful thanks .With all my heart I wish that nothing happens to spoil last night for her. I hope that she goes on to the top...but should she not I would like to tell her that nothing in the world will make people forget they way she sang last night, if I never hear her sing again I shall remember and be glad that for once I did not switch off the moment I realised what I was watching. Thanks lass, whoever you are and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment