Thursday 8 September 2011

SAINSBURY'S VERSUS SALISBURY.......NO CONTEST!


My son called today to tell me that he was in Salisbury wandering around the old town and viewing the cathedral and I confess to more than a twinge of envy when I compared this to my own outing to the supermarket. However I decided that as I am on holiday too I should have a little treat and so I purchased a few small items, mere fripperies really but it cheered me up a little . One of my purchases was a dream catcher, a rather lovely one with l;lots of feathers. Some years ago I made one and it has hung over my bed ever since until a few days ago when for not reason it decided to unravel. Unfortunately the onset of arthritis in my fingers prevents me from making these lovely things and so I was glad to see them of sale in the shop where I always by my sons welcome home balloon.

I also treated myself to some new watercolour brushes as my old ones seem to have been used by Pa for painting his model railway scenery and are useless as a consequence of such treatment. A pair of snug pyjamas and a new brown tunic( my old one had a bleach burn on the front) completed my personal shopping .

The day has been quiet and that makes a nice change for me as my hose is usually full of hungry people, tomorrow however someone is coming to take a look at the over vigorous creeper which is engulfing the windows at the rear of the cottage. I would prefer not to loose it altogether but it must be faced that as it can grow through closed windows something will have to be done before we wake up one morning and find ourselves tied to our beds by the blessed thing. I have no idea what it is and I did not plant it, it appeared as a small cluster of leaves about four years ago and is now growing up the chimney stack. My real regret at losing this plant is that the bees adore it and I hate to do anything to their detriment. We have decided to plant lots more pollen rich flowers next year to redress the balance.

Pa and I had a takeaway of fish and chips tonight, I love fish and chips and since a new and excellent fish shop opened nearby we have had them about once a month. Prior to this we never ate them as their was not a decant shop nearby...... my great grandfather kept a fish and chip shop so I am rather fussy you see. Most chip shops these days do other things as well and fry them in the same fat and so the flavour is impaired. Others us frozen fish which has not defrosted properly and them the batter in soggy . Worse than all are the shop which do not change the fat in which they fry often enough, I can tell by the smell as I walk past the shop if this is the case,,,yuk! I told you I was fussy!

Twiggy spent al of last night asleep on the fur rug in my sons bedroom and apart from the odd break for a meal or a quick visit to the garden she has spent most of the day there,poor little cat, she hates it when any of her people are away form home.

While I was out I picked up some enormous conkers which I intend to string and see if I can persuade someone to have a game with me. This years crop are the best I have ever seen and it makes me wish I was a child again, conkers that size were worth a couple of Gob stoppers or a tube of bubblegum when I was at primary school . These day children are not allowed to play with them at school in case of accidents and it seems such a shame that such a source of innocent amusement should be denied to our youngsters and I am certain that the game came be no more dangerous than wandering around glued to a game boy and which loud music blasting your eardrums . Don’t' mind me, I sound more like my mother every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment