Wednesday 21 September 2011

TAKING IT EASY




During the past few days I have been, shall we say, less than my best, an increase of pain heralded another bout of trouble with my kidneys and judging by my rising temperature some kind of infection is setting in. This may not be as alarming as it sounds for these infections caused I believe by kidney stones often go as fast as they come, sometimes however they do become quite serious so I shall monitor my temperature to be on the safe side and if it does become much worse I shall have to consult the medic and obtain some antibiotics.

In the mean time the level of pain has curbed my activities somewhat which is a great shame as I was enjoying pottering about in the garden, actually it is as my son always says more like tottering around the garden. I got up rather late and feeling rough but I did manage to make some bread and a nice bowl of porridge for breakfast, after that feeling exhausted...I had no sleep at all last night........I sat quietly with a cup of coffee and worked out my ingredient list for this years Christmas cakes, now don't groan, I know it's early but when I tell you the I usually make mine in mid to late October it is not too soon to begin buying in the large amount of ingredients involved in the enterprise.

Firstly there is our own large cake which is almost a traditional recipe but with extra cherries and fruit which has been soaking for months in brandy and rum. Then there are the cakes made for friends one of which is special as instead of mixed peel I use lots and lots of crystallised and preserved ginger. The resulting cake is wonderful....if you happen to like ginger. This year I hope to make about two dozen individual sized Christmas cakes for a party for some special friends, they are called jewel cakes and the recipe is from America. I have lots of American cookery books, their cakes especially are wonderful, rich, gooey and delectable.

They have names like Lady Baltimore cake and Election day cake and their coffee cakes - which incidentally do not contain any coffee - are made to eat with a cup of coffee are all gorgeous. One of my favourite Christmas recipe books is an American one which contains recipes for all kinds of Christmas events such as tree trimming parties. This has been a tradition in our family for as long as I can remember and I can as a surprise to discover that it is an American one.

While we are on the subject of cakes, I was in a quandary a few week ago when I was asked to make a cake for a friends birthday, he asked for a ginger cake and although I make a Christmas one it just did not seem suitable for a birthday so I racked my brains and came up with this.

Party Ginger Cake
6oz butter
50z soft brown sugar
3 eggs
6oz self raising flour
3 rounded teaspoons of ground ginger

Filling
Whipped cream

Topping
Chocolate glacé icing
12 slices of preserved ginger

Grease and line two 8” sandwich tins. Set the oven pt 350oC. Cream butter and sugar then add the eggs one at a time while beating like mad. Fold in the flour and ginger, divide in to tins and bake for 25 minutes.

When cool sandwich together with whipped cream which you may sweeten f you wish with an ounce of icing sugar to a half a pint of cream.

To make the glace icing place 3oz dark chocolate into a bowl over a pan of very hot water add a nob of butter and 2 tablespoons of water and melt together. Add 80z sifted icing sugar and spread over the top of the cake.

Cut the preserved ginger in to thin slices and decorate the top of the cake or if you prefer you can use walnut halves.

This really does look like a celebration cake and for someone who adores ginger it is the business.

I cooked gammon tonight which I served with eggs and a special tomato sauce which my family loves, this with a few fritters made an easy meal. I do not feel like eating at the moment but experience has taught me that not eating just makes thing worse and so I try to eat a little if I can.

What I want more than anything right now is a cup of Ovaltine and a hot water bottle to curl up with. I hope you enjoy the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment