Tuesday 20 September 2011

A MOUSE IN MY SLIPPER AND A SPANNER IN THE WORKS

Plagued by mozzie bites I

slept little last night neither antihistamine tablets nor topical creams made any impression upon the burning itchiness and eventually I gave up trying to sleep and decided to watch a film or two. Three hours later having watched a brilliant movie “The Langoliers”and still itchy I put on an old favourite Rebecca and half way through I finally fell asleep. When I awoke this morning feeling very groggy indeed I discovered that a small mouse, one of Twiggy's escaped takeaways had hidden in my slipper, I squealed in surprise as my toe touched the furry little creature and it squeaked in alarm when my big toe invaded it's hiding place.

The villain of the piece was nowhere to be seen and I suspect that the mouse was brought in after a late not foray and had headed for high ground the moment puss lost interest.
I popped the poor little thing in a tall glass and gave it a snippet of toast from last nights super which it ate with relish, it really was a sweet little thing and as soon as I was certain that Miss was distracted I put it over the fence in to the church yard where I hope it will be safe.

During the afternoon a problem with the gas metre caused trouble and in the end after much tooing and froing ,a visit from a nice young ma,n and more phone calls someone came to install a new metre. Our was they said a very ancient specimen such as was seldom seen these days. I showed them the certificate sent by our landlord only last week to say that our gas supply was safe and had been checked by a qualified gas fitter., and for a while the merry sound of laughter filled the room. We were lucky indeed that the small problem for which we had called them our originally brought this serious problem to light. Unfortunately it meant that I was unable to cook the gammon steaks with eggs and fritters in case they men turned up and switched the gas off. We had fish and chips from our local chippie instead....life is hard...!

My son is back in harness again although to my mind it is more like being a galley slave it is just a pity that the drummer can not keep decent time! I too an back on the treadmill and this afternoon I tackled the ironing at last it was as follow...twelve t shirts, seven shirts including the shirt of doom, five eight pairs of assorted trousers, four track suits and a motley collection of nighties.....it took hours.. and there are still about another ten t shirts, four more pairs of trousers and a couple of shirts!

Today I had the satisfaction of giving the imbecile who sent the decorators here yesterday a piece of my mind and believe me he needs all the donations he can get. I shall not go in to all the gory details , let us say that he is a sadder but probably no wiser man. The orchard has never looked better at this time of year and I am still picking apples and fresh figs every day, the grapes are ripening and plentiful too, with luck we shall have plenty of fresh vegetables from the kitchen garden during the winter months and early peas, broad beans and spinach too in the spring. We have still not heard if our garden will be allowed to remain but we are living in hopes that we shall sit under the old apple tree next spring when the shell pink blossoms break from the ruby red buds, and listen to the gentle cooing of the wood pigeon
that nests there each year.

I know they are in the habit of eating my seedlings but how could I hate such a lovely bird,
with its grey and pearly pink and blue feathers, just the same colours as the sky on a frosty winter morning, perfectly lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment