Saturday 20 August 2011

TESTING THE NEW OVEN




Five and a half hours of baking an assortment of goodies put the new oven through its paces and it passed with flying colours. Two dozen blueberry muffins for breakfast, perfect, three loaves, perfect, six dozen cookies, perfect ans two lemon drizzle cakes also perfect. The past few months since the rogue oven arrived have been tough, never knowing it things would either burn or come out of the oven half cooked has been for someone who bakes as much as I very challenging and I am glad that it is over.

Now I an going to do some unashamed advertising for the prince among men who mended my little net book, yes it's back and working perfectly, he only charged forty pounds and fixed it in less than twenty four hours. TAM PC SUPPORT 24/7 is the company name and Steve Broughton is the wizard who worked the miracle. His no fix no fee guarantee and honest dealing makes him a valuable commodity in these difficult times and I cannot recommend him too highly. He is based in West London and you can reach him on 020 8230 2740 or 07985 108265, give him a try next time you need any help with a computer. He guarantees his work and references are available. Thanks Steve.

The Kamikaze Dungeoneers met at our house today, their usual haunt, a local public house was apparently harbouring a rather foul smell which the intrepid heroes found offensive and so they repaired to my living room which smelled rather nicely of new bread and warm cookies. It was good to have them here again, before their numbers swelled to make the group too large for our little cottage they spent every other weekend gaming in my kitchen and a more pleasant group of young people you could not wish to meet. We shall entertain them tomorrow and I am jolly glad that I made plenty of cookies a they all have healthy appetites .

For the past three days I have been too busy to go foraging in the garden which has resulted in some ridiculously large courgettes which are destined for the soup pan and a glut of runner beans, these I shall share with the neighbours. The pumpkins too have grown a good deal since I last looked at them and today I harvested a beautiful crown prince pumpkin large and perfectly round, these are invaluable during the winter months as they keep for a long time and are delicious either roasted or
mashed with butter as a change from potatoes.

Tonight we decided on a cooked meats and cheeses meal as the bread was new and there is still plenty of salad in the garden. Pa likes anti pasto, my son prefers cold ham and chicken and I love crayfish on granary bread with salad and mayonnaise, we finished with iced cream and all agreed that for tonight it was the perfect meal.

I am experiencing a good deal of pain at the moment as my wretched kidney stones seem to be on the move again, I am glad they behaved long enough to allow my to finish the baking as tomorrow if necessary I can sit about groaning and no one will be the worse for it now that all the baking is done.

How it rained today, poor Pa got soaked on his way back from the shop but now the sun is shining, everywhere is fresh , the air deliciously cool and with a hint of autumn spice. Poor Twiggy is not best pleased about the weather a he does not care to be indoor when the house is full of tall young men, I found her sitting in a pot plant in the greenhouse and looking seriously disgruntled. Now I expect that I shall be in the dog house again, she has only just forgiven me for my last misdemeanour......and she does not yet know about tomorrow, oh dear I shall be in trouble!


No comments:

Post a Comment