Saturday 18 January 2014

MOTHERS PRIDE




Today my son completed another book, his fifth since last July, we celebrated by drinking shots of Rum ,this has become a tradition whenever a book is completed.

The new book is a change from his usual genre,it is a “Swords and Sorcery” epic and I must admit it is more to my taste than the sci fi books which have proved so popular, another of which he will begin in about a weeks time!

Sales are excellent, in fact they are incredible, each new book launch sparks yet more interest in the proceeding works. I know that, as his fond Mama, I am biased , but he truly does deserve the success he has worked so hard to achieve. I hope with all my heart that he will now have the freedom ,the time and the spare cash to fulfil some of his other dreams,but at the moment he has his head down.

He is insistent that he will not be satisfied until there are a dozen of his books on sale and one thing I know about my son is that if he says he will do something you may consider it done!

I confess that I enjoy having the bragging rights ,as it were and I truly am as proud as it is possible to be. As a child my son suffered severe asthma and spent very little time in school, he worked at home and still passed all his GCSE exams and his A levels with flying colours although he was obliged to sit in a room by himself as his coughing distracted the other students.

He flourished at University and did all the usual messing about in Politics and other such rubbish.
On the day he graduated I watched him collect his degree with so much love and pride.

But there is one thing I would wish my son to know and to believe and it is this. If he had not done well at school, if he had not passed he exams and achieved a degree,if he made a living sweeping up rubbish I would love him just as much as I do now.

Many years ago a teacher at my sons school told me that my son had won the hearts of the whole school,both staff and boys. His sense of humour,his care for his fellows ,and the fact that he always did his very best had won him the love and respect of those who shared his time at school.

A small example of his determination is shown in the fact that his sports master gave him A grades which astonished us all. At parents evening soon after the teacher told me that the reason for this was the fact than my son always tried to his utmost,cross country,cricket, gym, the lot. His teacher was of the opinion that if the healthy members of the class tried as hard they would soon have some world class sportsmen amongst them.

This is , I feel a wonderful tribute to someone who has always had to fight harder than most and yet has come out on top in spite of all, and the fact that he also manages to be such a loving and caring son makes me more happy than I can say.





No comments:

Post a Comment