Saturday 24 July 2010

BREAD AND CIRCUSES




This morning we all assembled for breakfast, even Pa made it bless his cotton socks, we ate a hearty breakfast with the condemned man who then set out for his dental appointment. I set about the bread making and was so preoccupied that I turned on the grill instead of the oven setting, fortunately I noticed my mistake in time........phew!

The replacement groceries arrived, this time from Ocado, all present and correct. The next job was to make some Celery soup for tomorrow, it seems to be every ones favourite at the moment, I had just finished the washing up when the poor sufferer returned, sore but with sparkling white teeth. He looked relieved that it was all over, he has been having a rough time lately, it's been a constant round of doctors, hospitals, tests and dentists for a couple of months now, and it messes up his weeks off.

Soon his gaming partners began to arrive, they are playing here as the pub they used to use is still in a state of flux as far as a new manager is concerned, so having packed Pa off to the shops I unwrapped the buggie cover and attempted to assemble it. To begin with it weighted about half a hundred weight and it was soon clear that my own debilitated frame was going to have a hard time assembling the hefty metal frame which held the cover in place. Then there were the instructions? I am not sure what language they were originally written in but a good deal of the sense was lost in translation, I would have laughed if it had not been so frustrating. What a performance!

I will not bore you with the details, almost everybody has experienced this problem I know. Having managed after an hour to check that all the parts were there,harder than it sounds, I began the assembly. Baffled again by the peculiar instructions another hour passed before I began to understand the jigsaw of parts which were by now covering a large part of the garden and most of the path. By now I was exhausted and in no mood to discover that the so called simple to assemble by one person kit was going to take a small army of helpers. “Oh bother .” I said.

There was no way I was going to disturb my son and his friends, who in my opinion need their leisure as they all work very hard, and as my hunky next door neighbours are away for the weekend I packed the parts away with as good a grace as possible.........to be frank I said a rude word to every single part and some even ruder ones about the idiot who wrote the instructions! On the up side I do now know how to put the wretched object together, I am just not capable of doing it.

When my neighbours return I shall bribe them with cakes, cookies and home made bread and with luck if they are free they will give me a hand next weekend. I retired to the peace of the vegetable garden and ignoring the fact that the paths needed strimming and the beds needed weeding I sat in the shade of our burgeoning damson tree an drank a very cold beer, The cat Tiggy tried some and It made her sneeze but she came back for another try, strange creature. We once had a parrot that was fond of soluble paracetamol, you could not leave a glass of it about because once she heard the fizzing sound she would take great swigs of the stuff unless you were quick. Our fellow creatures can be very odd at times.

Dinner tonight was easy, just fresh bread, salad, lots of different cheeses and some cold lamb and pate', no cooking so that it allows the game to go on longer and gives me a break at the same time. We just had some iced cream for afters, If there is time tomorrow morning I shall make a Pavlova for tomorrow's dinner and an egg custard with the left over egg yolks, we will have this on Monday with some fruit, forward planning is the secret of my success.

Today has been a bit fraught but on the whole I am quite content, we are all well, the sun has shone and as they say everything in the garden is lovely, even the weeds have bees all over them. There is a lot to be said for the small pleasures of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment