Tuesday 6 July 2010

HAPPINESS IS A REAL NEW POTATO




I was about to title this blog “happiness is carrot shaped “ but decided against it on the grounds that it might be misconstrued! To start with my appointment with the doctor went well, to my amazement my blood pressure was normal, a circumstance which seldom occurs, and therefore was cause for celebration. On my return home my son made breakfast for the three of us, a real treat, I love it when some one else does the cooking.

Next I tackled the cherry mountain, I have loads of recipes but all of them were for black cherry jam and insisted that red cherries were not good for jam making. Then I remembered that I had recently been given a couple of war time recipe books and sure enough I found a perfectly good, very simple recipe, I also put a pound of the fruit to steep in a bottle of vodka with four ounces of sugar. By Christmas it will be good to drink and the cherries will be used to make a boozy batter pudding on Christmas Eve.

The baby carrots were perfect, also the tiny white turnips, I pulled enough for dinner and scrubbed them clean and then rubbed the skin off the new potatoes. Having popped the shoulder of lamb in the oven I took a buggy ride down to the river, with some good music on my MP3 - I felt freer the I have in a long time. I called at a riverside pub and ordered a pint of bitter, it's been years since I did that, and it felt great and tasted better than good. I think I shall do it again very soon.

I trundled back home and cooked the vegetables while the joint rested and made the mint sauce, the mint is rampant this year, a large jug of lamb gravy completed the menu. We had all forgotten how wonderful crisp young vegetables taste when they have been picked and cooked almost immediately. It was lovely. We were to full to want a pudding, so we had a dessert of fresh cherries and very nice they were.

It has been such a perfect day that I don't want it to end. Have you ever noticed how some days sparkle like jewels along the tarnished chain of memory, I think that for me today was one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment